• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Key Won’t Turn

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Err, wouldn’t turn. My ignition switch was stuck in the off position; it wouldn’t even turn back to accessory. I tried pushing the shifter forward, farther into park, as it were, to no avail. I disconnected the interlock cable and push it in to see if than would help. I drilled out the lock cylinder (PITA) and replaced it; nothing.
Here’s what I found. The spring on the steering wheel lock, which had never worked had become bound up in the rack and pinion gears for the ignition switch.

The lower arrows show where the spring mounts and the remaining portion. The top arrows show the section that had broken off and where they had become caught. After pulling the pieces of the spring and removing the section remaining on the wheel locking pin it works fine.
DSC06466-2.jpg

I hope this helps someone, sometime or another; it sure had me going in circles.

BTW, this was on an '84 MJ, tilt wheel, AW4.

Bent said:
BTW, this was on an '87 MJ, tilt wheel, AW4.
'87
:twak:
Ficksed

Back