• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1993 dies and restarts

jamrs clough

NAXJA Forum User
help, 1993 xj 6cyl. auto rhd - problem first appeared acouple weeks ago i'm a letter carrier, about 1/2 through my rt. it suddenly started running rough, stumbling would only continue to run at very low speed after a breif period of this it cleared and ran fine for the last couple of weeks. then yesterday , at the begging of my rt. the same thing started but this time it progressed through the slow speed part and died. when i tried to restart, it would fire but not enough to keep running and after several tries it stopped fireing at all. left it for about 20 min. came back tried to start it fired right up ran fine for about 2 1/2 hours then same thing as above . no chk eng light but pulled codes this is what i got long pause 376332155 ???

thanks

You should take another crack at pulling those codes, because I think you missed a number. The codes should come as pairs of flashed digits: 33, 21, 55, etc. so there should be an even number. 55 is the end of sequence.

This sounds like a wiring or connection problem to me. A mishmash of many codes suggests some problem other than the individual problems that one code would indicate.

The first thing I'd do here is go entirely through the engine bay and check for bad wiring, disconnect and reconnect every plug you can find, and clean any connections that look dirty. Then you should also check the condition of the ground strap going from the engine to the firewall at the back, and replace it if there's any doubt. Make sure the fuel pump ballast resistor connections are good, and check the routing and connection of the wire that goes to the crank position sensor (that's at about 1 o'clock on the bell housing as you look into the engine bay, and the wire goes down from above. It can sometimes hit the exhaust manifold and short out).

I had the same problem on my 93 a while back and it ended up being that the fuel filter was clogged up and in connection with the fuel pump going bad. You may want to check the pressure at the fuel rail. ALSO, I had a similar problem on my 99 and it would just die spratically and then drive fine for a while, maybe days. It was the CPS.

Back