• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 JZ Build: Dana44 and Ford 9"

Staggering_Genius

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 92 ZJ from a good buddy of mine for $250. Not too bad, it's just that the tranny is totally fawked. Anyways, here's the gist:

I have a HP Dana44 and Ford 9" from a 79 Bronco to drop into my Ranger, but decided to keep it as my daily driver and get it off the 35s it's on now. 8mpg blows.

Now I have a ZJ and a set of Ford axles and nothing to wheel! :smsoap:

I'm on a budget, so I can't be dropping gobs and gobs of cash into long arm kits etc.

Along with my "new" axles, I have a set of extended radius arms for a 77-79 Full Size Bronco along with all the necessary bracketry.

Follow this and tell me if it sounds like a dumb ass idea:

Remove all previous controll arm brackets from the subframe (I've never worked with unibodys so I have no clue what in the hell to call it) Welding up a set of TNT frame stiffeners, and welding my modified Ford radius arm drop brackets in place. The lower coil spring pad is mounted to the rad arm C clamps so it can and will be adjusted for correct width. Classic Ford style shock mounts, and and adjustable track bar mount.

I'm still planning and researching, but how's it sound for a rough idea?

sounds like you have alot of work to do.

i would nominate you for TF'08 but im not sure yet as to which way this thread is going to go.

good luck in your build.
-G

There is an MJ that did this same thing but built a cross-member to attach the arms to. It's in EricsXJ's book Cherokee Builder's Guide. The front axle you bought is kind of a problem because of all the castings and the major expense to re-tube it, so the only way to really make it work is to use the arms that came with it.

Good Luck.

Sounds like you can weld. there are plenty of high pinion write ups and they generally cut off all the ford mounts and weld on their own mounts. If your going to spend the money on stiffeners might as well make/buy long arms and weld some mounts on the "frame" rails. Probably cheaper in the long run.
Do you want full axle or are you going to cut them down?
Weigh the option of selling those axles and getting a set that may work better for you.

Back