• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New 00 xj some advice

jphipps

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 00 xj. It has 80k on it and i am going to change the plugs,serp belt w/pump and t-stat. Should I replace the t-stat with a 180 or the oem one? I also am replacing the fan clutch with an electric fan.

jphipps said:
I just picked up a 00 xj. It has 80k on it and i am going to change the plugs,serp belt w/pump and t-stat. Should I replace the t-stat with a 180 or the oem one? I also am replacing the fan clutch with an electric fan.

1st post and not a usual question, impressive. I have heard of people having alot of problems with trying to replace fan clutchs with electrical fans. Why are you wanting to do this, does your engine overheat?

Also for the t-stat stock or you lose gas mileage.

-Alex

I would stick with the stock mechanical fan if I were you... You would have to put a massive and very expensive electric fan on that thing to make it cool half as well as that stock one does. I had an 87 with a 4.0 and did the same thing, and ended up changing back to a mech fan. It did pick up a few extra horses from the loss of load on the engine, but the electric fan just could not keep up with the cooling needs of the motor...

Back