• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End chatter noise

xratedxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj with the RE L/A kit on it, when I hit sharp bumps, like potholes or railroad tracks, I get a very sharp chattering noise on the pass side and the axle feels loose. Its been doing this for a while now but hasn't gotten much worse. Ive had the lift on for about a year and a half now. Ive already changed the track bar bushing, ball joints, and hub assembly, but its still there. It sounds too sharp to be a control arm bushing. What else could it be?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you still running the sway bar? I had front end knocking on my 01 and new bushings at the frames mounts cured it. I don't think this would not cause the axle to feel loose....

it's prolly the brake pads ratteling in the knuckle, next time you drive when you see a pothole, or bump, ride the brakes as you go over it, no noise= worn pad guides

98XJeep said:
it's prolly the brake pads ratteling in the knuckle, next time you drive when you see a pothole, or bump, ride the brakes as you go over it, no noise= worn pad guides

Thanks Ill give it a shot

xratedxj said:
I have a 2000 xj with the RE L/A kit on it, when I hit sharp bumps, like potholes or railroad tracks, I get a very sharp chattering noise on the pass side and the axle feels loose. Its been doing this for a while now but hasn't gotten much worse. Ive had the lift on for about a year and a half now. Ive already changed the track bar bushing, ball joints, and hub assembly, but its still there. It sounds too sharp to be a control arm bushing. What else could it be?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed that the bolts that came with my RE kit fit the arms really well but were pretty loose in the housing bushing. I am having the same problem and I am thinking about going to bigger bolts and drilling out the arms to match the size of the bushings.

I would have thought that RE would have that figured out by now, because everything that Ive bought from them is high quality. How intense is the noise you are experiencing, mine sounds like somone is hitting the pass side floorboard with a hammer. Im thinking maybe the superflex joint is out???

On another note I tried riding the brakes over bumps and the noise is still there, so its not the brake calipers

Mine sounds about the same as you described about yours. I wondered about using the bolts when I installed the kit. I don't know for sure that is the problem yet because this is the first time I have been out in it since the install, but I was looking for it because I questioned the bolt size to begin with. I washed the Jeep yesterday and hope to get time this week to make sure that is the problem.

Back