• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hoses unplugged at rear of Jeep - what are they

kellen

NAXJA Forum User
So I am chasing down a noise on deceleration, like a whoop whoop noise, but lower and quieter.

So I was greasing all the joints, checking the u-joints and I saw this
DSC01662_500.jpg

another shot

DSC01660_500.jpg

Its located at the rear of Jeep. All 3 of the lines were pulled out from the fittings, I am assuming they go into the 3 plugs there.

What are they for? Any problems being undone? Which one goes where?

Thanks,

Kellen

I was thinking breather tubes???

I am running through the FSM trying to find this, but I am sure you guys are faster.

Sorry its a 2000 cherokee. I was trying to follow them, but was getting pretty damn dizzy from the cigar I was "enjoying" while greasing the Jeep.

Thought one was headed to the fuel tank, like a breather line.

Still dizzy..............

I cant believe the check engine light was not on. I accidentally put a screw though my Evap Canister and the check Engine light came on within a couple miles.

FordGuy said:
I cant believe the check engine light was not on. I accidentally put a screw though my Evap Canister and the check Engine light came on within a couple miles.

nothing and the bulb is working because it went on because of a no bus error earlier.

So will my fuel economy go up because of this or just an emissions thing?

Yeah, my understanding is that post 1995 vehicles should throw a code when the evap system isn't tight. I just had a smog check on my 90 last week, and in California they now pressure test the evap system on 76 - 95 vehicles - put on a gas cap fitting and pressurize the system. The smog tech was really griping, he said the tester is buggy and costs him about 30 extra minutes for each test when he has to do it. The State had estimated failure rates for vehicles at 80%, but they are finding less than 10%, and it is usually the lines at the tank that are leaky, making it a pain in the rear to fix. Mine passed luckily.

FordGuy said:
Hey, I just paid 4.05 a gallon for Diesel, I feel you pain.

I was hoping for a free fix. Getting 16mpg isn't the end of the world, but some people get low 20's.

Just hate to throw $$$ to get better gas mileage, when the better mpg is offset by the price of the parts.

anyone care to post a pic of theirs, or tell how it is oriented. There are 3 vacuum lines and 3 places for them to go, but two are nearly the same in size, one is quite larger.

I just need someone to tell me where the one that is connected to metal goes.

Or post a pic.

Thanks,

Kellen

That's the canister alright.

The hoses appear to be naturally lined up with orfices, so I'd go with that initially.
There should be a emissions diagram under the hood which should be of some aid.

The FSM index showed Chapter 25 to deal with the emissions system, but I don't have that PDF for whatever reason.

Ron

My FSM doesn't have CH 25, so no evap coverage.

I was thinking about just plugging them in where they line up, but only the big one goes on, the other two seem difficult and could go into either one of the remaining two.

Last edited:
Back