• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

camber off

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
On my 89xj 4wd I'm finding that the front tires are wearing bald on the extreme inside edge before the rest of the tire. I didn't trust the first set that came with the car, but the next ones are doing it too.

From what I've read, camber isn't adjustable, and everything is big steel that's just supposed to be 'right' without adjustment. I also can't see how one might correct this.

Are there any hacks or ideas on fixing this? It's probably taking a good 10k miles off the total tire life having to replace them early for this...

TIA
Skip

I checked that, although it was with a tape measure held tight to the same tread position front and back axle high and it was good. What amount of toe being off starts to show up as camber? I may not be accurate to .001", but probably less than 1/8".

adjustable balljoints can adjust a few degrees of camber.
I went down that road with a D30 once.

I will simply go to the junkyard and replace the entire axle next time, it would have been cheaper in the long run.

I'd suggest you get an alignment. Then you will know what is out of spec.
And yes, you can adjust camber, as stated above, with adjustable ball joints.
Your problem, if it is camber, my just be worn out ball joints. The only other cause for incorrect camber would be a bent axle housing.

Back