• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing Auto Dim Mirror and OHC together

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,
Today I started putting an overhead console out of a 2000 XJ into my 1999 and actually got about done. It took a little longer than I thought it would but all seems to be going fairly well. I had to rearrange some pins from the 00's connector into my 99's but that was really no big deal. Anyway, while I have the headliner down, I plan to put my automatic dimming mirror with compass and temperature from a 2000 Tahoe in. Now come the questions...

1. Can I splice into the Jeep wiring in the OHC harness for switched power, ground, and the temp sensor wiring? Meaning, is it possible that I could use one temp sensor for two readouts? And...will it be okay to put the additional small draw on that circuit?
2. Both the OHC and Mirror have compasses. Are the magnets inside those devices going to cause the two to interfere with each other in any way?

If you have an opinion on this let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Collin

Last edited:
the two magnets will cause the earths rotation to reverse, thus causing your Jeep to fold like a taco.

I wonder if you could use a voltage tester and test the voltage from your stock output and then plug in your Tahoe miror and then read the voltage again seeing if there is an adverse reading. The ground should not be an issue since it would be acting as a common ground, as long as the ground for the overhead console is of sufficent gauge. I am seriously doubting that the mirrior is going to pull hardly that much load. I am not sure what the factory Jeep temp sensor uses as a signaling agent, if it is a positive feed, and so is the Tahoe, it MIGHT work, but I would be afraid that the sensor from the Jeep might not be recognized by the Tahoe mirror. Sorry I am not much help beyound that.

Hey....I did not check to see if my Tahoe's mirror was missing after I met w/ you yesterday :D

XJ&TJ4ME said:
the two magnets will cause the earths rotation to reverse, thus causing your Jeep to fold like a taco.
Shoot, this is my DD too.

XJ&TJ4ME said:
I wonder if you could use a voltage tester and test the voltage from your stock output and then plug in your Tahoe miror and then read the voltage again seeing if there is an adverse reading. The ground should not be an issue since it would be acting as a common ground, as long as the ground for the overhead console is of sufficent gauge. I am seriously doubting that the mirrior is going to pull hardly that much load. I am not sure what the factory Jeep temp sensor uses as a signaling agent, if it is a positive feed, and so is the Tahoe, it MIGHT work, but I would be afraid that the sensor from the Jeep might not be recognized by the Tahoe mirror. Sorry I am not much help beyond that.

Hey....I did not check to see if my Tahoe's mirror was missing after I met w/ you yesterday :D
Alright, I'm going to go out and try splicing all said wires and see what happens. Oh and yeah, your mirror is missing :D.

Back