• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ax Men

Re: Axe Men

Ba-Riedo said:
New series on the History Channel about logging in Oregon. Looks like a good show and is pretty interesting so far. Anyone watching?:yelclap:

-Alex

I watched it. Pretty interesting. They really need to get into the ecological side of things though. All they did was show hillsides getting clearcut. There is a lot more to it that they need to explain rather than making it look like it's purely a cut and grab for the money thing... I must say that they did a pretty good job of showing how dangerous it is. I hope they show the truck drivers' story as well.

I saw the first episode, it was well done. I like the angle of four different companies of various sizes going at different sites. Gives a nice compare and contrast to the issues they deal with, and how they handle them. I can't believe what a frikken' crybaby the guy driving the converted tank rig for the one company was. Cursing a bitching up a storm, blaming the other guys for not telling him where to drive, and walking off the job like that. Get a grip, pal.

I caught the last 45 minutes last night. I thought it was a pretty good show.

Was this the first episode or have there been others? I don't remember hearing about this one until I found it last night while surfing through the channels. Thom Beers is the producer. He is famous for Monster Garage, Deadliest Catch and Ice Road Truckers.

The show reminded me of my trip to Vancouver Island chasing Pacific and Hayes Logging trucks. The trees and trucks are just a little smaller in Oregon.

fubar XJ said:
I saw the first episode, it was well done. I like the angle of four different companies of various sizes going at different sites. Gives a nice compare and contrast to the issues they deal with, and how they handle them. I can't believe what a frikken' crybaby the guy driving the converted tank rig for the one company was. Cursing a bitching up a storm, blaming the other guys for not telling him where to drive, and walking off the job like that. Get a grip, pal.

X2
That guy calling them all morons and saying that he was quitting after they pulled the tank into the mud shouldn't be allowed to work with men, he needs a nice job as a waitress. Plus, he just let them pull it to where it got stuck and then blamed everyone else. What a tool.

fubar XJ said:
I can't believe what a frikken' crybaby the guy driving the converted tank rig for the one company was. Cursing a bitching up a storm, blaming the other guys for not telling him where to drive, and walking off the job like that. Get a grip, pal.

You have to wonder a bit about the editing..... But yeah it totally looks like he steered it to where it ended up. And to blow off like that knowing there is a camera rolling..... :dunce:

Metal Thrasher said:
I watched it. Pretty interesting. They really need to get into the ecological side of things though. All they did was show hillsides getting clearcut. There is a lot more to it that they need to explain rather than making it look like it's purely a cut and grab for the money thing... I must say that they did a pretty good job of showing how dangerous it is. I hope they show the truck drivers' story as well.
I thought they did a decent job talking about the fact that the one guy was a 4th genereation logger, and that he was cutting down trees that his Grandpa had planted and that he will be planting trees for his grandson to cut.

Sean

PacificEd said:
Thom Beers is the producer. He is famous for Monster Garage, Deadliest Catch and Ice Road Truckers.

Makes sense, it seemed sorta in the same league as Ice Road Truckers, anyone know if there is gonna be another season this year?

Does anyone know when logging season is or when this was filmed? They showed some scenes from upcoming episodes where its snowing so im guessing they start logging in the fall?

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
Makes sense, it seemed sorta in the same league as Ice Road Truckers, anyone know if there is gonna be another season this year?

Does anyone know when logging season is or when this was filmed? They showed some scenes from upcoming episodes where its snowing so im guessing they start logging in the fall?

-Alex

The Forest Service aims their timber sales around drainage concerns. They try to get the crews out of there during the rainy season... But with Private property, State, Federal, Railroad, etc sales it tends to be a year round job.

They're definitely a different breed.

I was surprised to see they were logging the Tillamook State Forest. It's a big area, but the Idiot Creek crew was really close to the wheeling trails. In one of the background shots you could see a trail marker for a moderate trail. Currently the Cedar Tree Trail is being logged, and I'm curious if it's the same company.

As for the weather, TSF starts getting snow around October-November. They log straight through winter. There was a new clear cut made between the last two trips I made out there (3 week time frame).

The windfall picks looked like they were from this years storms.

I DVR'd it (Comcast), and the whole show was choppy and kept cutting out. Hopefully the one they aired later in the night will work. I called Comcast and their recording said they were having issues with that channel.

I caught it last night. I hadn't heard of it but the 10000 BC or whatever on right before it supposedly talked about the Mammoth site here in my town, and a girl I know was on it.... I missed that part, but kept watching Ax Men since it was based in Oregon.

Pretty sweet show. I can't wait to see the rest of the season.

Its also available OnDemand for free with a couple of extra segments too. Cooincidently, I was up along idiot creek Saturday afternoon and you could see the areas they were working in. It was filmed from sometime in late October through I BELIEVE mid January. DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT THOUGH.
Good show, it should be pretty interesting.
PS rumor has it the new TSF OHV maps are out......

It makes roads for us to play on. Why must you hate it?!

Oregon selective cutting..... clear-cutting and leaving two trees standing in the middle of it.

no i totally understand it but i just dont like looking at it.
i think it kind of put a damper on cedar tree trail because all it used to be was tree's all around it.

Back