• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigger oil filter experience. Oil pressure problems.

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I switch over to a 5.0L ford (wix) oil filter last oil change then a few days later i noticed my oil pressure gauge needle bouncing all around while driving. I figured i damaged the oil sending unit sensor or got it wet during the oil change and didn't worry about it.

Today i did another oil change but used a stock size oil filter and my oil pressure is staying steady and not bouncing around. I mentioned this to a friend who stated that he had the same problem when doing the bigger filter mod.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I'm using a larger filter AND a relocation kit, and my oil pressure is fine, with no irregularities.

Well...other than the obvious - more filtering capability....more flow, more media to catch dirt, looks cooler, and the ability to say "my filter is bigger than yours!" :)

Other than that....dunno?

1, If you like going longer between oil changes? It could help.
2. If you have a High flow oil pump (and need it) a higher flow filter maybe needed??????
Turbos and/or sloppy bearing and lifters will eat up the oil PSI fast.
3 1+2

Last edited:
Muad'Dib said:
Whats the benifit of having a bigger filter in our XJ's anyway?

With the larger size comes more filter media. More filter media provides for longer/higher filter capacity (filter better for a longer period of time). And the cost is the same so you get more filter and larger filtering capacity for the same dollar spent.

Now for the renix era engines you get all the above advantages when you convert to the standard thread filter plus the big advantage of a filter can be found anywhere in any brand. The metric filter is not common or available everyplace and you have less brand options.

canadianwheeler said:
I switch over to a 5.0L ford (wix) oil filter last oil change then a few days later i noticed my oil pressure gauge needle bouncing all around while driving. I figured i damaged the oil sending unit sensor or got it wet during the oil change and didn't worry about it.

Today i did another oil change but used a stock size oil filter and my oil pressure is staying steady and not bouncing around. I mentioned this to a friend who stated that he had the same problem when doing the bigger filter mod.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

No

Also this would not be related to the larger filter, unless you have had a defective filter. But this is a common practice when used in "sever service conditions" they make 1 & 2 QT filters and larger for engines to give longer service life. Your gauge issue would not be from a 1-qt or even larger filter system.

i use the mobile 1 301 filter, no pressure problems at all.

I guess my filter was not the problem because today the oil pressure started acting up again. At idle it shows full as in pinned at all the way over around 3 o clock. When i am giving it gas it sits just passed the mid line.

Any ideas?

canadianwheeler said:
I guess my filter was not the problem because today the oil pressure started acting up again. At idle it shows full as in pinned at all the way over around 3 o clock. When i am giving it gas it sits just passed the mid line.

Any ideas?

yes
sending unit most often ,or connection IE; bad wire to sender
or could be bad gauge/cluster

Back