• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unstable when going over bumps, need help

blackhawk411

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ Sport 4.0 8.25/d30

So whenever I go over the bumps at speeds over 35mph ish, the Jeep is very unstable. It almost feels like it will turn sideways whenever i hit a bump. What could be causing this? It's really scary because it feels like the chasis are made out of rubber when I go over the bumps.

Maybe control arms? wornout bushings of some sort?

bad shocks will do that.. the "sideways" feeling is your tires actually leaving the road surface as they bounce after a bump.. worn bushings will also do it but shocks keep spring oscilation under control.

Oh okay no wonder, my rear driver's side shock is blown. I just haven't replaced it because I'm just waiting on the lift that I will never get haha.

Thanks...

its like what? 12 bolts/nuts to take them off? soak them the pb blaster and have it done in an hour tops.

Last edited:
IIRC when mine did that (its called the death wobble) it was worn out track bar on the front end. I could move the track bar easliy by hand when I crawled under it and inspected the tie rods, etc.

id take a look at all the wear points in your front suspension shocks bushings tre's etc shocks being that you know are bad Id replace immediately a lot of people do not realise how they keep your vehicle in touch with the road more than they make your ride comfortable and are just as important as having good tires. sorry Im not meening to rant

Ecomike said:
IIRC when mine did that (its called the death wobble) it was worn out track bar on the front end. I could move the track bar easliy by hand when I crawled under it and inspected the tie rods, etc.

I really don't think we're talking about death wobble here. I think we're talking blown shocks. You should not drive the Jeep without shocks. Not safe.

blackhawk411 said:
I dont think its the tire pressure that's causing it but i will check into it

A lot of people here run max tire pressure for peak MPGs, but I live in pot hole city USA, and I don't like the bounce (Unlike Tigger!) I get with max tire pressure. I usually run 26 psi front and 28 psi rear, and I get much better road feel and steering control with almost no bounce, even through pot holes and speed bumps.

I recently told the city here to stop waisting money on speed bump installations and just stop fixing the pot holes, as pot holes make excellent speed bumps, and don't cost the city anything! LOL.:scared:

Back