• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering out of control!

Twicepardoned

NAXJA Forum User
While driving at random times the wheels start wobbling REALLY bad... seriously it will damage the Jeep if I drive it like this again.

The steering wheel doesn't jerk back and forth but when the wheels wobble they are turning left, right left right etc... SO I know it has to do with steering.

I also noticed that the popping I was once getting in the steering box no longer pops... I am wondering (since I know nothing about steering box internals) is maybe I broken some gear teeth off in there and now it is able to move more freely with jerking the wheel... maybe just enough to go back and forth without throwing the vehicle off the road.?.?.?

The POP is usually from the trackbar not the steering box, but thte box might also be loose. search DEATH WOBBLE and you will find 200 threads on how to fix it

Definitely sounds like a track bar. Have somebody move your steering wheel back and forth, and watch your track bar. If there is any movement, that will be the culprit.

PS... I hate death wobble.

hhaha

OK I had no idea that was what they call it. Just knowing that made all the difference.
Likely culprits:
-Alignment
-Balance
-track Bar
-Castor Angle
-Brake rotor (not likely of course)

My best bet would be to fix the track bar issue first. I'll also get the wheels balanced, they are new and not balanced
Once I get the rest of my lift completed then I'll get an alignment done too

Twicepardoned said:
I'll also get the wheels balanced, they are new and not balanced

:banghead: :doh: :twak:

i dont know which is more appropriate....but good luck!

Twicepardoned said:
hhaha

OK I had no idea that was what they call it. Just knowing that made all the difference.
Likely culprits:
-Alignment
-Balance
-track Bar
-Castor Angle
-Brake rotor (not likely of course)

My best bet would be to fix the track bar issue first. I'll also get the wheels balanced, they are new and not balanced
Once I get the rest of my lift completed then I'll get an alignment done too

That's probably your problem there. Why didn't you have them balanced in the first place? Check the t-bar just in case cuz in some cases, wobbles start at the tires and loose trackbars enhance it.

They are 'new' to me... I bought them from a guy who was using them. I assume he has them balanced... but 'I' did not have them checked.

And keep in mind that I drove on those tires/wheels for almost a week with no problems. It was when I changed the trackbar that the problem began.

;)

Twicepardoned said:
And keep in mind that I drove on those tires/wheels for almost a week with no problems. It was when I changed the trackbar that the problem began.

;)

Then it's probably the trackbar. Tighten it. what kind of trackbar?

You have experienced the infamous Death Wobble. Do a search of that term and you will find a lifetime's worth of reading. It can be any one of a dozen things, or a little bit of each.

Basically you have slop in your suspension / steering system that allows it to oscillate when provoked. The first thing to do is to have someone get in and rock the steering from side to side slightly. Crawl under the rig and watch for any joint or mount that has any slop or movement.

First off I'd like to apologize to everyone who's time I wasted because I am a freaking idiot.
I'd also like to thank you for the advice because it ultimately solved my problem...

When I first went to put the Rusty's adj track bar on I had to removed the track brace because the oem unit was jammed in there hard enough I couldn't get it out... well I blamed the new track bar when the truth is I didn't tighten the brace back on enough... not even close.

So when I went out with my wife she was steering and I was underneath, the brace moved alot... alot guys... maybe a full inch total! Plus the tie rod isn't seating right now that I dremeled it wide to fit the adj track arm.

I tightened the brace and it drives like it used to. Now I only get wobble at higher speeds... which I never drive that fast in my Jeep as it is.

So Thank you for the help and again I am sorry for being a douche :(

BTW I plan on putting the adjustable tack arm back on since it fit better than the OEM with the dremeled brace.

Back