• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless questions and issues

OddBallXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have some questions for those of you who run without doors, or at least full doors. I have pulled the doors from the XJ and built tube doors. The jeep is stored outside.

1. What method do you use, if any, to keep animals and weather (rain, leaves, etc) out of the jeep while it is parked?

2. Do you wheel in bad weather, mud, rain, etc. Do you attempt to keep the mud, etc from flying into the jeep while wheeling? What do you use to keep the mud, rain, etc, out?

TIA

1. I put them back on

2. If you take it wheeling in mud or drive it in the rain it will get wet or dirty. I wouldnt take them off in the mud or rain because of that

well if its a trail rig rip all the carpets and headliners, get some seat covers n get muddy!...the pressure washer will become your friend...:)

Rokee44 said:
well if its a trail rig rip all the carpets and headliners, get some seat covers n get muddy!...the pressure washer will become your friend...:)

exactly!

Rokee44 said:

x2

I got my seat covers at AutoZone for about $25 each and they would be completely dry within 10 minutes of a rain storm and mud would just brush off after it dried.

If you're worried about your interior, you should probably leave your doors on.

Thanks for your comments. I'm not overly worried about the interior. The doors had to come off due to the hinge mounts on the body welds breaking. I used the hinges to build my tube doors. I'm trying to decide whether I want to go get doors from the jy or just build some type of cover, or not worry about it.

I put the full doors on most of the time. I'm carpetless so mud is ok, but if its raining the doors go on to keep me dry.

Fix the hinges and put on your full doors in the bad weather and put the tube doors on in the good weather.

I could care less for my interior since I had to pull the carpet after I flooded the inside when I lived in alaska. However for comfort reasons I did modify my doors to they could slide in and out whenever I need to use them. My heep sits outside with the doors off though.

jporvaz said:
I've read your write-up several times. Nice job. I've been working on something similar with a slightly different twist but was looking for other ideas. Are you still using your "doors" as described or have you made modifications?

Ha! Dude, I'm in Cincinnati! We got a foot of snow this weeked!

My plasti-doors live in the garage from Thanksgiving to Easter, and I run the steel doors. But I'm counting down the days...

But to answer your question, no. The doors are still pretty much as in the writeup. My uncle did suggest a springloaded catch to replace the eyelet/bungee deal. I may play around with his idea this spring.

And I'm working on a new storage rack, that I think could be pretty sweet.

If it works like I hope, I'll do a new writeup...

Robert

Back