• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EFI or not???

frankenstang57

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of mine just bought an '88 Wrangler.(yes, I know it's not an XJ) Despite my advice, and what he paid for it, he pretty much had his mind made up. Now he's having troubles with it. He claims the 4.0 in it is carburated. Is this true? I thought all the 4.0's where EFI, at least from '87 on. Any thoughts? I'm not there right now. The thing just puked out as he was leaving the lot. :(

My bad, it's a 4.2. '91 was the first year for EFI on the Wrangler. I guess he's going to try and get a '92 they have sitting on the lot. Better deal by far... but he's still getting screwd. Must be nice to have lots-o-money!

An '88 YJ 6-cyl is a carbureted 4.2L. Although the XJ picked up the 4.0L I6 in 1987, the Wrangler kept the 4.2L until the "4.0L High-Output" was introduced to both lines in 1991.

Back