• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it just seized up?

XJING

NAXJA Forum User
Unfortunatly, I dont have my manual with me. I searched but no go. I am replacing the steering column in an '88, I took off all the electrical connections, unbolted the two bolts on the bottom of the column,(by the pedals) and the bolts on the upper part of the column. (by the guages)
Gave it a few good yanks and its not budgeing. Had to stop for the day.
I have done this before on an XJ and don't remember any other fastners to un do to pull the steering column out. Is it just seized up? Or an I missing something on the motor side of the firewall. Thanks in advance.

Did you undo the coupler in the engine compartment? The end of the column connects to a shaft that connects to the steering box.

Didnt see any bolt on the coupler, the "new" steering column that is going in has just a female end shaped like a capitol D. Do I have to take the shaft out with the column on an '88?

I have an '88 as well. It's a bit hard to see to take a picture. Here's a clip from the parts guide. It list #18 as a bolt.

Back