• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff Instalation in Chrysler 8.25

apsdad

Cherokee Madness
Does anyone know of a write-up on the removal and installation of the differential in a Chrysler 8.25? I am going to install an ARB and I need to know how the Chryco works. I've done a Dana 30 and 35, but need to know how the 8.25 is different. Also, are any special tools required?

There is a special tool to loosen/tighten the adjustable shim on the carrier bearings once you remove the c-clips and axles. It is 2-3ft in length and has a six sided(>1", I think 1 1/8") nut on it($30-40 tool or you can weld a nut on a rod). Other than that you should be good with your prior experience. I had to grind out part of the housing to get the Auburn LSD in, but don't know if that is necessary with the ARB.

apsdad said:
Does anyone know of a write-up on the removal and installation of the differential in a Chrysler 8.25? I am going to install an ARB and I need to know how the Chryco works. I've done a Dana 30 and 35, but need to know how the 8.25 is different. Also, are any special tools required?

The only tool you will need that will not be part of any other type diff would be the tool used to adjust the "adjuster cups". I made my own. Take your old adjuster cup to the hardware and find a nut that fits into the hex opening of the cup, weld that "nut" to one end of a 4' piece of 1/2" black pipe(also can be bought at the hardware store) and on the other end weld on a 1/2" drive short extension(it will slide up into the pipe) to attach a 1/2" drive breaker bar or torque wrench to.

I made 2 of these so I would not have to keep moving the one from side to side. I have less that $20 in both wrenches. Sorry but I do not have a pic of the wrenches or I would post it.

I have set-up several 8.25's and I think it is one of the easier diffs to get "right". The 8.25 has a crush sleeve so get a couple of extra's when you order the install kit just in case you go too far on the pinion preload.

You will need a wrench that fits into the housing to turn the adjusters to set backlash and preload. In the old days, we used a torsion bar out of a B body chrysler. Yo can get a nut and weld it to a shaft of some kind, but if I remember correctly you will have to machine, or grind, the nut to fit as it's between sizes of commonly available nuts. There are tools available for purchase also, not very expensive. I have a homemade one in the shop if you want me to measure the nut size for you.

Okay, the responses indicate it is not that much different than other diffs other than having adjusters instead of shims. Anybody got the exact size of a nut to use for the adjuster tool?

36mm

Back