• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RC adj. LCAs

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 3.5" lift for my 98 XJ that I installed. I was thinking about putting Rough Country adj. lower control arms on to fix the caster or whatever. I want to end up with 32" tires so I might need a little more lift. I can't lift it too much though because I'm on a budget and just want 32s on a mildly wheeled DD. Should I grab some and put them on, or just keep my fixed RE arms on there? Thanks.

32" on a 3.5 is mild wheeling unless you want to bump stop and trim alot. dont think its gonna flex to well with the tire shoved up in the wheel well hitting the top. Im running 29" on 3" and i can bearley rub mine. It all depends on if you have your swaybars connected or not. I dont. I would install the Adjustable control arms they are way better than fixed.

Here are some measurments you might find interesting:

Lift......................LCA............./....... .....UCA
********Decimal**Fraction**Decimal**Fraction
Stock........15.75.......15 ¾........15.00.......15
2”.............15.92.......16............14.88.... ..15
3”.............16.09.......16............14.92.... ..15
4”.............16.33.......16 3/8......15.03.......15
4.5”..........16.47.......16 ½........15.11.......15
5”.............16.62.......16 5/8......15.21.......15 ¼
6”.............16.97.......17............15.44.... ..15 ½
7”.............17.36.......17 3/8......15.74.......15 ¾
8”.............17.81.......17 ¾........16.09.......16
9”.............18.30.......18 ¼........16.50.......16 ½
10”...........18.82.......18 ¾........16.96.......17

The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about a 3/4" coil spacer up front and maybe a 5/8" block in the rear at most. The RE leaf packs are definitely higher up than the coils are, so the front might need lifting and the rear maybe not. I just did a 3" BDS lift kit with AAL rear on a friend's '97 XJ and we threw on some huge 31s and they fit perfectly, so I know that my 3.5" kit should be able to fit 32s without much work, maybe the spacer up front.
I plan on making bumpers too later on so I'm sure the bumperettes will come off, allowing for more room. The adj. control arms come in because I have heard the caster gets kinda bad at like 4.5" and I would like to restore my caster angle. I'm not much of a flexer, if I want to flex I throw on my 235s as I have now and flex.

I meant huge as in a ton of tread. I don't remember the brand but man, they had a ton of tread on them. They were very deeply cut. I think they were called Prospectors. They looked like 32s or 33s because the cut was so big.

Keep your RE lowers(they are already longer than stock),and get some adjustable uppers to dial in castor.

RCP Phx said:
Keep your RE lowers(they are already longer than stock),and get some adjustable uppers to dial in castor.
You sure? Mine didn't look longer than stock. I thought just the lowers were needed to correct castor angle?

codyyy said:
You sure? Mine didn't look longer than stock. I thought just the lowers were needed to correct castor angle?
Technically, your LCAs should be longer than stock, there will only be about 1/4" difference.
There's nothing wrong with setting the castor with adjustable uppers and fixed lowers.
You can also set the castor some using the stock LCA adjustment and shims.
Another reason for replacing the lowers is simply for strength reasons.
Since your only going up another 3/4", you should be fine.

Back