• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine light!

Don't know what year you got but ,I know that on my 93 the procedure goes like this....turn the ignition to the on position then off, then on, then off ,then on. Now the check engine light will start to flash, count the flashes until the pause then count the flashes again. If for example. the first set of flashes counted 5 and the next set counted 4 then the code thrown would be 54. It may throw more than one code at you ,or a 55 that is end of codes. refer to manual for codes.That's how mine works anyway and I'm sure theres lots of differences between years.

KRAKER said:
Jon.... Did you slip that bad??? OBD2 is four digits. OBD1 is two! OBD2 is 96-present.

Nope. OBD-II codes can take three forms:

An alpha prefix and a four-digit code (SAE Standard)
A two-digit hexadecimal number (non-standard SAE, OBD "native.")
A two-digit numeric code (Vendor standard.)

Five-digit codes with a zero as the first numerical digit are set by SAE, with a one are set by the vendor.

The OBD-II codes on my site are listed in all three manners (organised by the SAE five-digit code) as taken from the FSM.

thetinman857 said:
They say,
The 1980s-1990s Chrysler Computer Codes

Any codes for 2001 XJs?

1984-1990 XJ/MJ w/2.46L I4 - pre-OBD
1984-1986 XJ/MJ w/2.8L V6 - OBD-I
1987-1990 XJ/MJ w/4.0L I6 - pre-OBD
1991-1995 XJ/MJ w/2.46L I4 - OBD-I
1996-2001 XJ w/2.46L I4 - OBD-II
1991-1995 XJ/MJ w/4.0L I6 - OBD-I
1996-2001 XJ w/4.0L I6 - OBD-II

I've no idea about the Diesels offhand, but I think they're pre-OBD (for the Renault. The overseas VM Diesels may be OBD.)

Will this ONLY work with the "check engine" light on?

I have that common problem with the instrument panel and the airbag light and the tach & speed gauges dropping and just recently the "check engine" light came on and for the first time ALL my gauges dropped which scared me.

sinewave said:
Will this ONLY work with the "check engine" light on?

I have that common problem with the instrument panel and the airbag light and the tach & speed gauges dropping and just recently the "check engine" light came on and for the first time ALL my gauges dropped which scared me.

what year? its common on the newer models to have a bad connection behind the dash which will cause an open curcuit and you lose all the gauges.

It's a 99 Classic. I actually found a thread about it right when I started to notice the problem. (I've owned it for 3 months)

It's just the first time that the "Check Engine" light came on, so I was hoping to troubleshoot this.

Do you have the same issue?

sinewave said:
It's a 99 Classic. I actually found a thread about it right when I started to notice the problem. (I've owned it for 3 months)

It's just the first time that the "Check Engine" light came on, so I was hoping to troubleshoot this.

Do you have the same issue?

no i dont have the problem with my 89, but its a very common problem with the newer models. i think you should get a "no bus" error code

sinewave said:
I've found ways to get rid of it, but it's still very irritating. Basically I'm going to have to learn to deal with it.

why? if it is indeed your problem, why not fix it.

how do you get rid of it? bang on the gauges?

Back