• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New lift shackle hits frame

00Classic

NAXJA Forum User
Installed a DPG/RE 4" hybrid today. After install the factory shackle bolt is hitting on the frame/reciever hitch when flexed. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

Not uncommom for the rear shackles to hit the back of the shackle mount, or the bumper when flexed. This is not good. You solve the problem using boomerang shackles.

Pictures later. So to correct it I have to go higher? When the axle droops the bolt hits the frame in the front. It make a pretty alarming noise if I am going quick enough over an obstacle. Yesterday when I flexed it out the springs didn't flex enough to hit the bumber.

xjbubba said:
Not uncommom for the rear shackles to hit the back of the shackle mount, or the bumper when flexed. This is not good. You solve the problem using boomerang shackles.
Boomerangs would make it even worse!

00Classic said:
Pictures later. So to correct it I have to go higher? When the axle droops the bolt hits the frame in the front. It make a pretty alarming noise if I am going quick enough over an obstacle. Yesterday when I flexed it out the springs didn't flex enough to hit the bumber.
I wouldnt worry about it until the springs have time to settle in!

I am just going to let it be for know. Get the gears and SYE done then worry about this. Here is a pic.

There is shiney spot on the hitch mount where the bolt hits.
re6030002.jpg

re6030005.jpg

re6030006.jpg

Geordiewolf said:
Have you tried turning the bolt around to face the other way?

That won't help. It actually hits the nut then the shackle flexes to the side and stops on the threads. I would be affraid if I turned it around it would go past and hang up on return.

I think you just need a longer pair of shackles.

00Classic said:
That won't help. It actually hits the nut then the shackle flexes to the side and stops on the threads. I would be affraid if I turned it around it would go past and hang up on return.

Well the factory had it the other way and it did not hit. I say try it. :rof: :confused1

From the second picture, it looks like you have bolted the spring direct to the frame mount (The bit thats welded to the chasis) and not used shackles, if you still have the original springs check to see if the shackles are still attached? If this is the case, then when you put the shackles on, the bolt movement will only be noticable on the bottom joint, and will have plenty clearance from the frame.

Ghost said:
Well the factory had it the other way and it did not hit. I say try it. :rof: :confused1

x2 and if it still hits notch the hitch mount....then no more problems.

I would use it as a good excuse for a new rear bumper with the reciever built in.

Geordiewolf said:
From the second picture, it looks like you have bolted the spring direct to the frame mount (The bit thats welded to the chasis) and not used shackles, if you still have the original springs check to see if the shackles are still attached? If this is the case, then when you put the shackles on, the bolt movement will only be noticable on the bottom joint, and will have plenty clearance from the frame.

are you blind???:conceited

00Classic said:

So, are you asking for help or telling everyone whats NOT IT. :sure:

That said. TURN THE BOLT THE OTHER WAY!!!!! What hitch do you have? It looks like whoever made it made that part too wide. Trim the hitch where it hits and TURN THE BOLT AROUND. :conceited

or move your shackle mount like I did...

silverslk said:
So, are you asking for help or telling everyone whats NOT IT. :sure:

That said. TURN THE BOLT THE OTHER WAY!!!!! What hitch do you have? It looks like whoever made it made that part too wide. Trim the hitch where it hits and TURN THE BOLT AROUND. :conceited

It is a factory hitch the one that comes with the tow package. I plan to notch the hitch this weekend and flip the bolts.

4LowandGo said:
Notching the hitch slightly and turning the bolts should help your problem.
Good luck!
Yea if he actually wheels it this year! :clap: :gag: :wow:

Back