• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj falls on face.

redsxj85

NAXJA Forum User
well with the tranny fixed on to next problem. on inital startup i will take off like normal then the engine feels like the keys turned off.Its only for a second and only once. the plugs are new wires, cap, rotor, and coil, (all for pm) with no help. I dont think its fuel its too instantly there and gone. so im convinced its spark. Im thinking distributor pickup. just dont wanna throw parts at it. anybody seen this????

Intermittent problems like this can be tough to isolate. Testing, while always a good strategy, may fail to uncover the problem as the part may test good in the driveway as the problem is so subtle. I'd still test a few parts anyways like the camshaft position sensor (inside distributor) and fuel pressure at the fuel rail. You're right about throwing parts at it; that gets spendy in a hurry and can be frustrating. Have you seen a check engine light? You may want to check for any "stored" codes that can be there, even if your CEL isn't currently on.

no check engine light. every time it does it its still in open loop. all test are inconclusive because the problem is intermittent. cats not an issue with this guy.

These types of problems suck. What I do with them is let it go for a while and if it gets worse, the cause may become evident in the process. The fact that it happens only in open loop has to provide a clue here??? But what?? Good luck on this one.....

Last edited:
Back