• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What shocks are the best?

Ditto on Langer1's comment, I recently threw some cheap, (budget) monroe's on the wife's 2wd and they do the job being as she's always on road and needs cornering and braking style shocks. I like Rancho, but have Rusty's Hydros on my 4wd with a 3in lift and I went from Gabriel air shocks to these and I swear she rides like a Lac, but it maybe a figment of my imagination. LOL But heck, for $245 for the lift with these shocks included, I'm a happy camper. As for the ranchos, going to throw the RSX styles on my Titan soon, so we will see.

did you say "best"?

I'd be partial to the Bilstein 9300 Blackhawks

Blackhawk%20Jimco.jpg

...with some massive King resevoir/bypass shocks being a close second

specs2.jpg

for most XJ applications the best reasonable choices are Bilstein 5100/5125/5150 or OME shocks. Bilstein (255/70 valving) if you like a firm ride, OME if you like a soft ride. Bilstein 7100s would be another step up and you can revalve them to your heart's content.

Sweet I'll have to try some of them!

Thanks! Right now my shocks are trash..feels like my XJs a lowrider..a lift kit soon to be installed. Well Today is my 20th birthday I am off to do some crazy stuff..

Peace, Scott

Michaelarchangelo said:
Has anyone tried the konis? Im guessing they will give a nice, firm ride on the road.

I'm partial to Bilstein, because they seem to last forever.

I'm running Koni on my XJ now, stiff when new, but not excessively so, seemed to really help with the typical XJ push and roll (understeer). They were great when they were new, but are getting kind of tired now (about five years old). The old XJ has a lot more roll in the corners than it used to have. It may be a combo of the shocks getting weak and maybe time for new sway bar bushings.

How do you use your Cherokee?
How much offing do you do?
How much towing or running heavy?
How important or not inpatient is a soft ride to you?
How much do want to spend on the dampener?

I have a rancho 3" lift on my 87 XJ originally had Rancho 5000 series shocks WAY to harsh on road for my taste. Replaced with Pro Comp shcoks cant remember series but werent expensive. A little better but still stiff. A friend has a 95 XJ with the OME lift and shocks. GRRRRREAT of road and rides a little firmer than stock. Ride is firmer thatn stock not stiff or harsh in any way. I think his rode better after OME suspension system. Might wanna look into an entire system of get shocks first than get matching lift as long as u dont wnat 2 go to high.

Reviving an older thread... I need new shocks for my 87 Chief w/ a 4.5" lift on 31's... I'm on a budget... i've read a few posts and looked up some of the shocks.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?D=monroe&Ntt=monroe&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=1557+4294967000&Nty=1&V=1557&Vh=Jeep

The Monroe Matic-Plus. I didn't see somewhere if this would work on a 4.5" lift or not. Also the ones that Rusty's offers..

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RX-XJ&Category_Code=SHOCKS

I'm looking for a little better ride as I still have the Rough Country ones that were on there w/the lift when I bought the Jeep. It feels like a brick on wheels going over any kind of bumps/dips etc... The only real trail / off-roading my wife and I do is pretty much logging/forest road trails, some mud etc...a weekend warrior if you will. Nothing too serious. Anymore input for a 4.5" lift that would provide a decent road drive and off-road for fairly cheap? Thanks

Bdiddy11 said:
Reviving an older thread... I need new shocks for my 87 Chief w/ a 4.5" lift on 31's... I'm on a budget... i've read a few posts and looked up some of the shocks.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?D=monroe&Ntt=monroe&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=1557+4294967000&Nty=1&V=1557&Vh=Jeep

The Monroe Matic-Plus. I didn't see somewhere if this would work on a 4.5" lift or not. Also the ones that Rusty's offers..

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RX-XJ&Category_Code=SHOCKS

I'm looking for a little better ride as I still have the Rough Country ones that were on there w/the lift when I bought the Jeep. It feels like a brick on wheels going over any kind of bumps/dips etc... The only real trail / off-roading my wife and I do is pretty much logging/forest road trails, some mud etc...a weekend warrior if you will. Nothing too serious. Anymore input for a 4.5" lift that would provide a decent road drive and off-road for fairly cheap? Thanks
You could use a set of up-country ZJ (grand cherokee) shocks up front with a set of BPE's. With the BPE's they should be good for 4" of lift, which isn't ideal for what you want, but they can be had cheeply (hell, you could probably even pull some from the JY if funds are really tight).
For the back you can use rear Comanche shocks with a BPE, which should be good to around 4" of lift..again, not quite what you want but, they could be had for cheep.

i use a 93' ford explorer 4wd rear shocks, on the back of my jeep cuz i get +6inch over stock.
the shocks are 15 bucks new at auto zone
and you make two cuts and your ready to go....

Back