• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Am I missing something here? WJ Seats DO NOT FIT

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
I'm getting pretty mad right now. I have a 99 Sport. Did TONS of reading and from what I can tell WJ seats should go right in. I got seats from a 99 WJ Limited and of course they are power. THEY WILL NO FIT.

Take a look at these pics, you can plainly see that the WJ mounting tab holes are about a solid 2 inches aft of the XJ front tabs, making it impossible to bolt them up.

Am I missing something guys? This is suppose to work damnit!

HPIM0647.JPG

HPIM0646.JPG

Looking at the brackets closer again and the mounts to the floor don't even match up either, this just plain WON'T WORK unless I totally take the brackets off and swap them, and if I do that, the seats will never move again as the power stuff is all attached to the brackets. Basically I am out a lot of money right now.

Anyone have any ideas here?

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=748257#post748257

Ivan said:
If you have a later model XJ, you can use WJ seats as a direct bolt in. You just have to swap the mounting rails from your XJ over to the WJ seats, and it's a direct bolt in from there. The mount holes on the XJ seat rails are the same pattern as the WJ seat mount holes.

I just installed some leather '03 WJ seats into my '98 XJ at the cost of $195, and that included shipping. A lot cheaper than seat covers alone for my old beat up XJ seats....

Keep in mind that the motors for the seat adjustments are located on the mounting rails of the WJ seats. So you'll loose those functions when you swap the seats over to the non-powered XJ mounting rails. Besides, how hard is it to adjust your seats manually?

The one thing I kept an eye out during my seat search, was for the manual recliner lever option, which ususally comes on the Laredo WJ model seats. I didn't want to mess with a power recliner model, and have to deal with how to make it work. Those type of seats are actually cheaper to find than the fully powered ones....

Sorry man, looks like you lose the power function of the WJ seats. Have to swap the brackets.

fast64 said:
You'll be able to move them manually using the seat adjuster from your manual XJ seats.

Only back and forth, I'll loose all recline ability. Whatever, I'm going to adapt them somehow. This is wicked gay.

wasnt there just a thread on this?

IIRC from what i gathered you still can wire it up so that the back will adjust you just lose the forward and reverse which you can use the manual XJ lever for.

-Kyle

Kyle Deidrick said:
wasnt there just a thread on this?

IIRC from what i gathered you still can wire it up so that the back will adjust you just lose the forward and reverse which you can use the manual XJ lever for.

-Kyle

I think your right Kyle. I'm looking at the recline settings and they are actually attached to the base, not the brackets, so that should still work. I guess my choices are:

1. Swap bases, manual back and forth, power recline

2. Grind off the tabs of each seat and weld the XJ tabs onto the WJ brackets. If I F that up, buy new XJ seats from the yard, and do #1.

Ick....I really wanted full on power with these things.

You just loose the power back and forth movement. That's done by the original manual bar of the XJ. The power recline is still able to be hooked up to the XJ's battery with a inline fuse.

I'll get some pictures of mine when I get a chance. I'm going to completely remove and insulate my XJ's interior. Then hook everything back up. I won't do this till June this year after I finish building my house.

NHxj4x4 said:
I think your right Kyle. I'm looking at the recline settings and they are actually attached to the base, not the brackets, so that should still work. I guess my choices are:

1. Swap bases, manual back and forth, power recline

2. Grind off the tabs of each seat and weld the XJ tabs onto the WJ brackets. If I F that up, buy new XJ seats from the yard, and do #1.

Ick....I really wanted full on power with these things.

quite the decision, new brackets from the JY cant be that much, i would probably go ahead and test your luck on the grinding.

-Kyle

I went for the bracket swap. Worked perfect. If you are doing this with memory seats BTW, you MUST leave the memory modual in for the drivers side. Otherwise the recline will not work. That was annoying to find out the hard way. MUCH higher than stock as well. I knew that was coming but it really makes a big change. I'm 6'5 and about 2" off the ceiling now. I can live with that though as it lets me confortably put the recline back more so my body actually feels more stretched that it did before. All in all I'm happy, and they are SO much more comfortable than the stupid 99 seats.

Todd

I went through the same thing that's why almost every time someone says grand cherokee seat bolt right in they don't if you have and want power. I cut off all the bracketry and welded new stuff on. It lowered the seat and had it bolt up to all the factory holes. When I sell the seats they will truely be a bolt it for an XJ only just add power

I'll get some pics up tomorow. The passenger side isn't that bad pretty straight forward. The drivers side on the other hand seems to have more interferance with the tranny tunnel either way I'll see how the pics come out. I didn't do a write up because I was to busy getting them in. It was a PITA to keep putting them in then taking them out.

Back