• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering help....identify these parts!

Giviner

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to tackle my extremely loose steering column on my old 88 Xj that I picked up for free as a project. Got everything taken apart, fixed the loose bolts (all 4 were totally un-threaded!) and am putting it back together now.

These 2 pieces fell out as I was dis-assembling the column and I have no idea where they came from. The part on the left fell out when I was taking the upper bowl assembly off, and the one on the left fell out when I was putting the ignition rack back in.

6716572442.jpg

Also, there is a loose black wire on the left side of the column that looks like it's been sheared or cut off and is not attached to anything. Looks like there are 3 smaller wires inside it.

6716572464.jpg
http://img2.putfile.com/main/3/6716572464.jpg

Any help identifying these parts would be much appreciated. I don't want to put the column back together until I have this figured out.

Thanks!

MoparManiac said:
I'm not too sure about the first two pieces, but that wire looks like cruise control.

Ah yes, that would explain why it's cut. The entire top half of my turn signal stalk is missing so it must have been severed when that broke off or was removed. So theoretically this shouldn't affect the drivablility of the vehicle, just the operation of the cruise. Correct?

8Mud said:
The spring on the left is part of the buzzer switch that goes in the base of the lock tumbler.

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jeepjunk/tilt/tilt.html

The spring on the right looks familiar, but darned if I can remember where I saw it.

Sweet, that takes care of one of them! Thanks a bunch!

I haven't messed with a stick shift for about 7 years, small wonder it was hard to recognize.

ifz6kx.png

8Mud said:
I haven't messed with a stick shift for about 7 years, small wonder it was hard to recognize.

ifz6kx.png
You posted up the diagram but failed to identify number 24! So what is 24?

8Mud said:

ifz6kx.png

Thanks 8Mud, but what exactly is that? I realize #24 is one of the springs in my picture but I have no idea what the rest of that is, esp. #29.

hmmmmmm........maybe i'm having an off day, or i'm just dense, but i still don't see where that spring is supposed to go. 8Mud, that first diagram you posted...........what assembly is that?

Tim_MN thanks for the link, that's actually the writeup I used :D

Giviner said:
hmmmmmm........maybe i'm having an off day, or i'm just dense, but i still don't see where that spring is supposed to go. 8Mud, that first diagram you posted...........what assembly is that?

Tim_MN thanks for the link, that's actually the writeup I used :D

I'm pretty sure it's the "key release lever", you have to push it down to get the tumbler in the lock position. You can turn the key to off, run or start without using the lever, but it needs to be depressed to turn the key to "lock" position.

I'm not sure where the spring goes, like I said the last time I had a stick column apart was 7-8 years ago and I wasn't there to watch you take yours apart :twak: :D

I looked for a detail in the FSM with no real luck. Most of the drawings were from the wrong side or didn't show the lever at all.

Last edited:
Giviner said:
Ok, well there is no key release lever on my column. By "stick column" do you mean manual transmission?

:worship:

:D

Yes

Ok, well I have the AW4 so I guess that rules that out...........

I think i'll just put it all back together and see what happens!

I know it's not part of the ignition and that is my primary concern at this point.

Jeremy........awesome, thanks! the spring snaps right over the housing that the rack slides on to keep upward pressure on it. When I go back through some of the pictures on the elcamino website, you can see it in there if you look close.

Glad to help, I knew I recognized it when I saw your photos.
You may also think about picking up a cruise/signal arm from your local boneyard, if you have the time while you have it apart. You may have a miracle xj where the cruise actually works and you don't even know it! :laugh:

Oddly enough when I was cleaning all the crap out of it yesterday after I got it running I looked under the drivers seat and found the top half of the arm, with the wiring still poking out of it.

I already had the steering back together at that point but once I get a few other things fixed i'll probably try to re-attach everything.......maybe i'll get lucky! :D

Back