• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 cherokee 4.0lt HO temp problem or water broblem or i dont know

LOST_ADDICT

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys , my name is Andreas and i live in Athens(Greece)

I have a little problem and i was wondering if u can help me , here it is :

when i turn off the engine sometimes after 5 minutes , i see the water climbing and spiling out of the overflow can.
when it have done this 3 times , i need to add coolant

the water temp gauge when the car is running is below the midle
but i have noticed that if i turn off the engine when the gauge is close or above the midlle ,then the water will fill up the overflow can for sure.

i also noticed that when sometimes i step on the gas and go 60 and 70 and 80 the temp goes up , that isnt soposed to hapen , isnt it ?

the highest temp that it had reached is a litlte above the midle wich is i think 230 , and then the electric fun is turned on.

i have installed a new fun clucth and i have done a coolant flash , i changed the thermostat but i dont know what they put me , i think its a 195

but the problem persist

what do you think

You might try replacing the radiator cap. It needs to be one set for the factory pressure (16 or 18 lbs I can't remember). A bad cap could cause this problem. Sound to me like your coolant is boiling after engine shut down.

It's normal for the the 4.0 to get hot under load. If you have an automatic, the transmission also dumps heat into the radiator at high speed. I transmission cooler will help.

x2 on the new cap...

also, the issue with accelerating and your temp going up - I believe that is a water pump issue. the fins on the inside of the pump wear down or get gunk built up on them, causing it to not circulate the coolant as well, especially at higher speeds.

also, if you're running hot, try getting some hood vents. they'll help cool off your engine quicker, like when you shut it off. lets the heat dissipate.

x3 your radiator cap. The temps you have described sound normal. The 195 thermostat is what you want. XJs run hot. Cruising they will sit just below 210 (middle) but will fluctuate up 230 or so. If it is rising fast when you accelerate then you need to check out your water pump as well.

X4 the cap - and how much do you fill the tank to? It has a cold level line about 2/3 of the way down, hot should be half.

He says its coming out of the 'OVER FLOW' not the rad cap.

Are you filling the overflow to the top? You should have an air space for the water to expand and contract with temperature. Try filling the overflow half way and driving it.

Throttle said:
We know that. I bad cap will not hold pressure and the coolant will boil in the system at a lower temperature.

Throttle said:

Are you filling the overflow to the top? You should have an air space for the water to expand and contract with temperature. Try filling the overflow half way and driving it.

i m filling the overflow half way (where it says full) and still the water is coming out

Back