• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating too...

socratica

NAXJA Forum User
It seems like everyone is having overheating problems... Me too. I have an '84 (2.5, auto. 4x4) it sat for about a year between times I ran it. I put a used cj-7 2.5 in with 110,000 miles on it, the guy went to a 350 for more power (the motor runs fine, in fact it runs better now than the jeep has in 10 years). But, the old radiator in the xj was leaking, so it was overheating... I replaced radiator, hoses,t-stat, cap, belt (had fan clutch checked) and waterpump. This jeep still overheats with moderate country road driving (50 mph or so) within 5-6 miles. It has the dummy lights (no real guage), so I am going to put in an actual temp. guage this afternoon so I can watch it. It shows no signs of a blown headgasket, no growing oil or steam for the exhaust.

Other issues: (questions?? for those in the know)
No lower rubber shield
Transmission slipped the first two times I took it for a spin after the new engine.
Will overheat just idling for 10-15 min.
No AC compressor (removed)

Thanks for the help ya'll.

(yes I did search too)

Have not flushed the engine block, yet. Thanks for the tip. I will go over to the garage behind where I work to see when it cane be done. Any other ideas for when I take it in to the shop?

check everything in the cooling system while you have it apart. , thermostat, housing, hoses. replace all the consumables, maybe evey the h2o pump. flush the radiator. and get the correct ratio of coolant to water. use the peak premixed if you can get it. i did all that and my temps went down, use the oem temp thermostat. dont go lower. the cooling system essentially is a simple system. its the clogs and the junk that accumulates after years that makes it work harder and harder.

if you do this all yourself you can do it in a couple of hours. parts themselves will run under 100.00.

i thought my hoses were good still til i took em off. the insides looked like a forest!

Back