• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What types/styles of radiators did the XJ's have?

XJ88User

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
How many radiator styles were in the XJ's, I have the l6 and I see a them in droves in the junk yards around here.
Did the 4 cylinders have the same radiator, do the V6's also use that same style? Anyone got pictures of the different types if they used them?
I searched on the web to see if I could dredge up a different picture, but they came up with generic pictures or the same type I have for the l6. And i don't have an FSM or enough references books as some of you do.
So could you please help me out, thank you.

Andy

vertical flow on 4 cyl and 2.8L (not sure on the Renault diesels) and cross flow on 4.0L. inline 6 rads could be 1, 2 or 3 rows.

JeepFreak91 said:
i believe older modles are closed style so you may want to look for an open style

I wasn't so much looking for a replacement but thanks on that. I was looking for a picture or a reference to this
carnuck said:
vertical flow on 4 cyl and 2.8L (not sure on the Renault diesels)
as i was wondering if they made the mounts to accept a vertical flow at anytime.
Now i have to find a picture on how they mounted up into the frame, since the front has 3 holes and I have never seen a 4 banger radiator in a jeep in any of the wrecking yards out here. Anyone have a picture of that?
Thanks again on the info, I knew someone had it swimming in thier head on this forum.

105784.jpg

Modine 2268 ('87 to '90 4.0L)

106104.jpg

Modine 2802 ('91 till ? XJ with 4.0L)
Note the radiator cap on the top left of the pic. This is the only difference from '87 to '90 and later ones (till?) and can be used to convert away from the stupid plastic fill bottle on the '87 to '90.

106388.jpg

Modine 871 (4 cyl XJs most years)

The whole rad saddle needs changing before converting from 4 cyl to 6 cyl.

Pictures courtesy of napaonline.com
http://napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=421

Pics will be taken down later on.

Back