• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which tires?

Char-Broil

NAXJA Forum User
It's time to buy new tires (finally) I'm getting 33s, and i'm not sure which flavor is best. I want a m/t that will hold up well and be good off road. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. i would like to opinions as to which tire to get and why. please offer only if you have personal experience or close to it. they are sort of in order of preference, only because i know the discoverers hold up well in the long haul and the bighorns are a nice looking tire that perform well. i don't really know how maxxis or the trxus hold up after lots of miles. basically i'm poor and i need to know how to get my money's worth.

1. Cooper Discoverer STT (MTZ Style, most $)

2. Maxxis Bighorn

3. Interco Trxus MT

thanks!

redrider said:
4. interco Boggers

No, not a good on road tire. They are loud as hell and wont hold up long, I hope you were not serious.

I would go with the Trxus MT's I have seen them offroad in snow and they are great, mud as well and a lot of people in the NW rave about their performance.

-Alex

I have 33" truxus m/ts on my tj and I love them. I had yokohama geolander m/t before and when I got the truxus on I was impressed. They handle great offroad and are great onroad (they ride more like a radial then a m/t) I bought them from j.c. whitney when they had there free shipping and got a good deal on em'. I plan on buying another set when I lift my XJ. Just my .02

With much research and a lot of input from other people who have them I went stt route, they will not be here for another week. They are not cheap, I made my decision and ordered them before I price them 184 cnd per tire for 33x12.5x15. I will post my opinion once I test em out

the cooper STT's look more like the goodyear wrangler. i work at a tire store that has a few hundred mud tires, i got the tread designs down to the "T"

I've had 33" and now 35" bighorns,these tires work awesome on the rocks,sand, and trails,even on the street wet or dry,check out the video,mine is the silver xj with cowl hood, and NOT2CLN plate.....David Dave amazes EVERYBODY!!! (18MB) nws for language.

SlimsXJ said:
I've had 33" and now 35" bighorns,these tires work awesome on the rocks,sand, and trails,even on the street wet or dry,check out the video,mine is the silver xj with cowl hood, and NOT2CLN plate.....David Dave amazes EVERYBODY!!! (18MB) nws for language.

how do i get to this video? link?

Rollow said:
I have 33" truxus m/ts on my tj and I love them. I had yokohama geolander m/t before and when I got the truxus on I was impressed. They handle great offroad and are great onroad (they ride more like a radial then a m/t) I bought them from j.c. whitney when they had there free shipping and got a good deal on em'. I plan on buying another set when I lift my XJ. Just my .02
Silly noobie, just because it's an mt doesnt mean it isnt a radial, trxus mt's are radials.

i run STT's and i will continue to run STT's when these wear out.

I dd my rig and these tires have been nothing but good. i have 20k on them and expect to get at least 20k more out of them (at least). They are still relativly quiate compared to other tires out there and they drive very strait. I highly suggest them.

-Kyle

I had the old style, good tires, got loud was the tread wore down though. For a DD you can't really go wrong with coopers, granted none are gonna have a decent sidewall.

I vote for trxus mt's. I had 3 sets of these and they've proven themselves. If you go with trxus, i would recommend balancing them with dynabeads (www.innovativebalancing.com). 6 oz per tire and you'll be good to go. Tradiational balancing is a hit or miss with these tires.

ok so everyone thinks the STTs are a great long living tire. i do DD my rig, for now, and probably will for the next year or 2, so i don't want to have no tread left in 20-30k. those of you who have had bighorns or trxus, how many miles have you gotten out of them, and/or how pleased are you with how they are wearing? thanks so much for all the input so far!

muddeprived said:
I vote for trxus mt's. I had 3 sets of these and they've proven themselves. If you go with trxus, i would recommend balancing them with dynabeads (www.innovativebalancing.com). 6 oz per tire and you'll be good to go. Tradiational balancing is a hit or miss with these tires.

did you go with the offroad version? how are they different than bbs or airsoft pellets? i've heard that airsoft pellets turn to dust after a while. i saw on their site that innovative balancing reccomends 8 oz for a 33x12.5 r15, do you still reccomend 6 oz?

muddygp said:
did you go with the offroad version? how are they different than bbs or airsoft pellets? i've heard that airsoft pellets turn to dust after a while. i saw on their site that innovative balancing reccomends 8 oz for a 33x12.5 r15, do you still reccomend 6 oz?

Dynabeads do not wear down and are very tiny, just a little larger than sand. I recommend 6 oz with a 31" tire. Follow the recommendations on their site. When it comes time to get new tires, get a small shop vac and suck em out of the tire and re-use em. Don't mix em or u'll have to weigh them.

are you speaking of the dynabeads off road package? they use larger beads but the regular beads worked very well for me. I didn't see the need to go with the off road package. If i had bigger meats, i would probably opt for those instead.

Last edited:
Back