• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found a Magnet/Magneto broke inside distributor.

sixditchoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I get home park my jeep, my buddy calls he comes over and we get some eats and drive around he drops me off at my Casa I jump into the ol jeep and she wont crank. I checked everything you could think of, then I popped off the dist. cap and found a small Magnet/Magneto broke inside distributor layin in the bottom. Where'd she come from is what I wanna know.

So.... how the hell do I fix that? new dist.? new cap? new rotor? Or a new Distributor Ignition Pickup??

sixditchoffroad said:
I get home park my jeep, my buddy calls he comes over and we get some eats and drive around he drops me off at my Casa I jump into the ol jeep and she wont crank. I checked everything you could think of, then I popped off the dist. cap and found a small Magnet/Magneto broke inside distributor layin in the bottom. Where'd she come from is what I wanna know.

So.... how the hell do I fix that? new dist.? new cap? new rotor? Or a new Distributor Ignition Pickup??

Sounds like the "button" that the rotor rotates againts inside the cap to connect it to the coil. I think its actually called a carbon "brush"... but i could be wrong. Should just be able to replace the cap and be good to go. Id replace the rotor too though. Make sure you get ones with brass terminals.

Last edited:
sixditchoffroad said:

I think it came from the school of... NOMINATED!!!

What year XJ we talking about----? Had a 87 that the pick-up sensor in the Dist fell apart-insides just disentergrated wires even pulled out .I just replaced the Distributor.

Wayne

Cheapest way out would be a new pick-up assembly.Depending on milage and wear-a re-built on new dist would cost a little more.
Wayne

When you say "won't crank" what do you actually mean? If you mean that the starter is not turning the engine over, then this distributor part, whatever it is, is not your problem and you need to look further.

If you mean it cranks but won't start, then it's worth looking at. If it's a broken cam position sensor, it should throw an OBD code. If there's no code, you need to look further. A better description of the part would help a lot.

If it's the cam position sensor on a 93, you will have to take the distributor out, remove the gear from the bottom, pull the shaft, replace the sensor, and then put the distributor back in correctly. If you make a very careful note of the rotor position before you take it out, and do not turn the engine until it's back in, it's very easy. If not, it's a nuisance.

it was turning over but not starting, that is until I killed my poor batt. I'm going to the pull-a-part tommarow to pick a distributor. I can't find it in me to pay over 100 bucks for a new one. I think the 10 bucks is a fair price. Thanks for the help folks.

Back