• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle shaft and locker upgrade question

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have C8.25 27 spline rear axle and open diff. Thinking about going to 29 spline and auto locker. Now in going to the 29 spline I understand I would need a new carrier. I gather that my current axle housing would not need to be replaced. Am I right in assuming I would need to reset the R&P in putting in the new carrier?

Now, if I indeed need a new carrier to upgrade to 29 spline axle shafts then I might as well just go Detroit rather than powertrax. What would I need besides the two 29 spline shafts, the Detroit (for 29 spline axle shafts), and someone to reset the R$P gears?

Again i post the question, why?

Why not just grab a 29spl complete axle for 100-150 max, it would save you a lot of time and hassle.

-Kyle

I've not had the greatest luck dealing with salvage yards in my area. There's no pick & pull where I can actually go out and verify that the axle is from a 97-01 XJ or that I wouldn't need new bearing and seals. My last time to the salvage yard they wanted me to pay for the part before they'd go get it.

Rod Knee said:
I currently have C8.25 27 spline rear axle and open diff. Thinking about going to 29 spline and auto locker. Now in going to the 29 spline I understand I would need a new carrier. I gather that my current axle housing would not need to be replaced. Am I right in assuming I would need to reset the R&P in putting in the new carrier?

Now, if I indeed need a new carrier to upgrade to 29 spline axle shafts then I might as well just go Detroit rather than powertrax. What would I need besides the two 29 spline shafts, the Detroit (for 29 spline axle shafts), and someone to reset the R$P gears?
You are correct except the only thing that needs to be reset is the backlash,and thats easy!

xalexjx said:
theres no 29 spline auto lockers, just the power trax

Really? There is a 29-spline Detroit Locker.

Kyle Deidrick said:
Again i post the question, why?

Why not just grab a 29spl complete axle for 100-150 max, it would save you a lot of time and hassle.

-Kyle

I'm assuming that he is going to get a 29-spline locker and upgrade to 29-spline ALLOY shafts. Superior or Alloy USA.

So it wouldn't make sense to buy a complete 29-spline 8.25 axle.

xjohnnyc said:
I'm assuming that he is going to get a 29-spline locker and upgrade to 29-spline ALLOY shafts. Superior or Alloy USA.

So it wouldn't make sense to buy a complete 29-spline 8.25 axle.

Yes, that was my thinking, and there is indeed a Detroit for the 29 spline shafts. Sorry if I was unclear.

My main point was that if you have to replace the carrier anyway, why not just go Detroit rather than lunchbox.

Last edited:
Back