• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ removable roll cage

Badride

NAXJA Forum User
When I decided to build my roll cage I wanted to be able to make the welds to satisfy myself, be able to paint it and also to remove it and put it in another XJ just in case I ever had too much body damage. I decided to put some "connectors" in mine which would allow me to tack the bars together, remove them and weld them up outside the Jeep. The connectors have two 1/2 bolts holding them together and they are machined very closely so that the ends just touch each other. Those are not the bolts that will end up in it, just used them to hold it together while welding. Here are some pictures as I went. I will load the painted pictures later today and the installed painted pictures Monday. I plan to put it back in the Jeep when I get home today because they are calling for a little snow at Windrock tomorrow and I love to play in the snow!
cagetofloorconnector.jpg

cagefromrearseat.jpg

cargocagedriversside.jpg

cargocagepassside.jpg
cargorollcage.jpg

What the hell is in the back? Looks like a Stihl powered air tank?!?! Lol. Nice job. I like the gps. Looks like a garmin gc60sx, or something like that. Nice welds too.

I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. That picture does look a little strange! LOL That was the best place I could find to put the saw with everything I am planning to put back there. I bought the saw on a Saturday and ended up having to use it to cut a tree down in the trail Saturday. All the guys that made fun of me having a saw were with me that night. I asked them what they thought about having the saw. They changed their minds.

Where did you get the "connectors", looks like great idea, but is the connection strong enough to do the job?

Thanks, I did some looking and planning before deciding on what to do. I am mounting my jack in the cargo area on top of the middle bar. I had to make an extension, about 4" to make it to the other side. I am taking the rack off the top, too many trees around here for me and I don't want anything on top. I am also putting head rests in the rear on the roll bar before I put it back in.

2lazy2p said:
Where did you get the "connectors", looks like great idea, but is the connection strong enough to do the job?

I had a machine shop make them and yes they are plenty strong enough. The only draw back is that they cost around $26 per set. I used 18 sets which comes to $468 then you add the tubing which was somewhere around $400 the best I remember. That puts me around $868 in it and I may have been off some on the tubing. I know that is a lot of money, at least it is to me, but I figure I can use it in another XJ if I need to. I may add a grab handle for the front passanger side, I haven't made up my mind yet. If I do I will make it out of smaller tubing. The tubing I use here was .120 wall, 1 3/4 DOM.

Were you at windrock last saturday? I think I remember your jeep. If you were there3

bigjeepman said:
Were you at windrock last saturday? I think I remember your jeep. If you were there3

Yes but I was on my 4 wheeler. My XJ was sitting just off the road all day at a friends trailer between the trail head and Oliver Springs.

I've been thinking about how to "roll cage" my rig for a while, I really like this set up, I will nominate you for the DEAD BUG award for the best roll cage idea of the year. By the way I read about your town in a book about the "Athens War", a not widely known dot in history of major importance. Thanks for the work!

2lazy2p said:
I've been thinking about how to "roll cage" my rig for a while, I really like this set up, I will nominate you for the DEAD BUG award for the best roll cage idea of the year. By the way I read about your town in a book about the "Athens War", a not widely known dot in history of major importance. Thanks for the work!

Yes, the Athens War, my grandfather was in on that. He, and other vets were fed up with the people in office stealing the balot boxes and they started letting the led fly! He used to tell me about shooting into the jail house. Man, what I would give to have been there.

Olympia said:
bad a*s roll cage!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

My next upgrade is to replace the Dana 30 with a narrowed Dana HP44. I already have the 30 spline axles and lockouts. I am going to cut the ends off a Dana 30, shorten the 44 to the correct length and put it back together with the 30 ends. I will make some pictures as I go. The part I hate is that I haven't had the front end in it long. It has a brand new OX locker in it. When I make the change I will end up having to sell the OX locker, and a almost new 4.10 ring gear and pinion. I probably will cut the ends off anothe 30 so I will sell the housing with it.

I am pretty sure the biggest reason for 4 teeth "falling off" is my heavy right foot.

Dana30ringgear.jpg

Last edited:
SOUTHTEXASXJ said:
I would rock that cage in my Rig! Can you make me one?Looks even beeter after paint

I am not sure when it will happen, I have a lot going on right now, but I plan to use one of my junked Cherokees to make a pattern off of so I can make a few.

Back