• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Black canister?

HogWash

NAXJA Forum User
also what is that black canister in the back passanger side in the engine area,what purpose does it serve,I checked it while running and it did nothing?
towards the fire wall,it has the 2 hoses coming out of it and 1 runs down under the jeep and the other runs to the air filter area

Last edited:
Ya I know that one,I had to fix it on the trail w/super glue ,just had some small cracks,havent looked at it since (thinking it still may have a small leak) know were I can pick one up at?

I pulled mine out. Removed the line from the canister to the air box and drilled a hole in my wiper cowl and run the other one inside there and attached a small k&n filter to it.

MogifiedXJ said:
I pulled mine out. Removed the line from the canister to the air box and drilled a hole in my wiper cowl and run the other one inside there and attached a small k&n filter to it.

So if you ever get the Jeep on it's side or upside down, it's going to piss gas everywhere? That canister also has a valve to close the vent when it gets significantly off-angle.

One other thing it makes sure the air drawn it to the fuel tank is dry and clean. Much of todays fuel contains some alcohol and any alcohol will draw moisture from the air.

Back