• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise coming from rearend?

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
i'm getting a noise coming from the rearend only when accelerating or when the foot is on the skinny pedal to maintain speed. The noise goes away when coasting. I hate trying to describe noises with words but i'll do my best.

its not a gringing noise

its not a howling noise

it has fresh fluid in it with lsd additive.

it sounds as if a bearing is bsing ground down. not a constant sound but more of a rotating sound that sounds like it goes "coo coo coo" and increases with speed.

if you have ever used a drill with a large bit on it it kinda sounds like that.

help me to narrow this down, i did a visual of the gears and everything looked ok as far as i could tell. there was a little wear pattern in the center of each tooth of the ring gear. there wasn't a groove or anything just a shiney spot.

tia

Can you post or e-mail me a picture of the wear spot. That should help diagnose the problem. The sound you are describing could be many things. Also, a few questions...When were the gears ionstalled or are they original. Also if a locker or any other dif work was done, when and by whom.

Thanks!

KJ

Wheel bearings?

Is it leaking?

well lay off the white Castle :passgas:

FlexdXJ said:
well lay off the white Castle :passgas:

lol

and Kj

everything is stock to my knowledge ( just bought it) d35, gear ratio not sure, aw4 with a 242 if that helps. also i may pull the diff cover again this weekend and float a magnet around in the gear oil to see if i get a bunch of shavings. if i do pull the cover i'll snap a pic the best i can. i dont think it has a limited slip because when i turn a corner it lets loose 1 tire, i added the the lsd additive because i thought all XJ limiteds had a lsd in the rear at least my 90 did. i figured adding it couldn't hurt if it was an open diff.

xj rubi,

i'm going to pull the wheels off this saturday so i'll be able to get a good look then, doesn't seem to be leaking from the looks of the back of the tires.

thanks guys

Back