• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99' Fuel Pump ?'s

XJRubicon

NAXJA Forum User
Losing power, backfiring, and noisy.

Does the 99' run a different pump then a 93' or are they all the same?

If its different, do you know a good place to get one for a good price?

Thanks,
XJR

You may want to do some fuel pressure testing before digging to be sure that is the problem, as the fuel pump for your 99 is inside the tank, kind of a PITA to replace.

The pump part number would have to be different for 93/99. I had to replace my pump assembly (pump/regulator/filter) on my 99 at around 90k. I have a friend who gets me my parts for his cost so don't know where a good place to order one online would be, but am sure others will chime in.....

birchlakeXJ said:
You may want to do some fuel pressure testing before digging to be sure that is the problem in as the fuel pump for your 99 is inside the tank, kind of a PITA to replace.

And as it is located inside the tank whereas a 93 is not, the pump part number would be different. I had to replace my pump assembly (pump/regulator/filter) on my 99 at around 90k. I have a friend who gets me my parts for his cost so don't know where a good place to order one online would be but am sure others will chime in.....

I have run a fuel press test. The pump is bad.

I have a 90' tank with the pump in it, and I am almost positive the 93' is in the tank as well. I have never seen an XJ with out a pump in the tank.

I have not pulled the 93' tank, but I am pretty sure the pump is in the tank.

As for pulling the tank being a pain in the ass... I have NEVER had a problem. Thats easy.

Also, the jeep has 197k Miles on it. This jeep has towed a 5000lb 21' trailer all over colorado, up the mountains, across the plains... It has not had an easy life.

The pump is junk and I cant believe it still runs.
The motor in the 99' is out of the 93' but has a date code of 95'.

When the motor was in the 93' it had awesome power. We put it in the 99' and it was limp.
Thats what got me thinkin fuel pump. When I put the guage to it, when its cold it reads correct. When it warms up, the pressure drops bad and is very erratic.

Also, when the pressure drops you can hear the pump unload.

When we fill the tank with cold fuel, it runs great. When it gets lower the pump heats up and pressure is lost.

Pressure reg is new.

Last edited:
Back