• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re-gearing, what else?

dennisgrimm

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to regear and truetrac the HPD30 and 8.25" on my '99 XJ. While I have the axles out of the vehicle what else should I be looking at? U-joints, ball joints, what else? Any tips would be helpful.

My luck would dictate that 2 months after regearing something will fail that I should have replaced while I had the axles apart.

Thanks guys.

Ok... how do I evaluate the condition of the UCA bushings? Is it obvious when they have reached the end of their life? As they so cheap and easy I should replace them regardless?

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em comin'.

If there rubber, generally the rubber will be worn or chewed out a little... if you have a buddy with you you can have one of you sit in the car and while in drive or reverse press the brakes off and on and let the car rock a little to see if there is any play in the bushings...it will be obvious if there is or isnt. HTH

Back