• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

She Died.

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
Today I got in the XJ after it sat since tuesday morning, drove to lunch about 2 miles away. Got back in after lunch, started it, and drove it to the "driveway" where I was gonna make a right onto the main road. It started to sputter and cough, so I threw it in neutral, and revved it up, but nothing happened. The rpms kept bouncing between 0 and the first line.

Eventually it shut off (with my foot to the floor). I cranked it over, and it kept sputtering and sputtering (with the starter engaged) Within seconds my battery was drained, (yes I know I need a new battery)

I got a jump and its like nothing happened.
confused.gif
It ran fine.

I ran my tank almost dry on accident monday morning, sputtering the engine, but got to the pump fine. And it ran fine all monday and tuesday morning. Would sediment in the tank do that to my engine? But take 2 days to do that? I thought it would be instant. And why was my throttle useless when i tried to give it rpms??

Also I will be getting a battery since after 10 seconds of cranking, completely kills it...

Any insight is great.

The fuel filter would be a place that I would start. While I was reading it I was thinking about the fuel filter getting clogged from running the tank down. I replaced one on an old truck that did that and it ran fine after I changed it out. You could actually see the crap in the filter from the opening when we took it off. If you change it make sure the filter is pointing in the right direction (look for the arrow).

This is my guess and I could be wrong!

I have had an XJ that when It had a bad battery it would not supply enough current to run the injectors, fuel pump and ignition while cranking.

It cranked slow till I would jump it, then it would fire up and run perfect.

Put a new battery in that unit and never had a problem again till I scraped it because the doors wouldn't close! hasta

Also, 10 seconds of high amp cranking because the battery is weak is not good for the starter.

I have a hard time believing that it took 2 days to plug the filter.

I have ran one of my XJ's out of gas and had the filter plug but it was instant.

XJR

Edit: almost 200k.... has the pump EVER been replaced?
Our 99' has 197k miles and the fuel pump is about to die completely, but still runs.

Pump and filter was replaced about 20k ago.

Changed the filter and battery (both BAD) and it seems to be good for now.

Thanks for the help.

Back