• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ rear suspension

trail rate this

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first thread so bear with me and I beleive the belongs in advanced modified, but I wasn't allowed to start a thread there.

Has anyone converted an XJ rear suspension to coil spring useing ZJ rear suspension. I couldn't find anything on this or where anyone has done this (my guess is there a reason why). Thought it would give more articulation than leaf springs.

Just wonder about the pros and cons.

I haven't really heard of any one switching to a short arm ZJ set up in the back. I have seen plenty of people switch to a long arm four link set up in the back and use both coil springs or coil overs. I honestly think that you could get leaf springs to flex better than converting to a zj set up (short arms with coil springs) for the same price or cheaper. As for leafs vs rear four link and coil-overs, thats a whole 'nother debate. If you really want to switch to a four link, there are plenty of threads on that and programs that will help you with numbers. just search on here or on pirate4x4.com/forum using google.

good luck
Chris

The rear coils? I would imagine that the rear of a XJ and of ZJ are similar in weights. So try finding the rear coils for a ZJ for 4.5" of lift? You probably want to get the swaybar off of the ZJ too because the stock XJ one probably won't offer that much resistance against the flexy coils(think body roll).

I say do it, take pictures and do a write up on it.
Chris

All the more reason for the swaybar...
If the stock zj one won't work correctly, try somewhere like addco or maybe even one of the currie antirock swaybars that isn't set up for any specific vehicle.

Chris

Totally not worth the time/effort.

The rear chassis half of a ZJ is braced and constructed entirely different than an XJ. It's not nearly as simple as just 'swapping brackets over'.

Back