• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what should i take off a 1988 xj

andy5569

NAXJA Forum User
i am buying a 1988 xj with a 4.0 and auto for parts. is there anything the 88's come with that i should make sure i take off? the parts are going to be put on a 1987 xj is there any major upgrade the come on the 88? thanks for your time.

might have a d44

i am not sure what trim all i know is it is a 4.0 auto it has i havent even seen it yet i was trying to make a list of things to take off so i dont forget anything use full thanks for your help

4LowandGo said:
Trail Spare parts like axle shafts maybe... I don't personally know any changes between 87 and 88, but that doesn't mean much!

x2

Nothing terribly different.

If you're being given a free hand stripping the thing, grab at least the following:

(Trail Spares)
Driveshafts (both)
Axleshafts (all - including front stub shafts.)
Front Axle disconnect actuator (to replace or modify)

(Goodies)
Trailer hitch (if there is one. Use it yourself or sell it.)
Anything you can think of that may be useful - glass and such, if you can store it. Also, lamp lenses and headlamp buckets are popular (I have several sets of taillamps for spares - I'm always whacking them - and I've got a couple sets of headlamp buckets and a spare grille.)
Bumpers (if they're different from yours, structurally.)
Interior parts (if they're better than yours.)

And, before you toss the thing entirely, can you yank out the control electronics - ECU and ICM - and set them aside for me? It's a personal project...

But, apart from that, there really aren't any changes to talk about, unless the 88 happens to have a D44 (last year for that option.) ChryCo only changed a few things in late 1988 1988/1989 break, then made some heavy swaps for 1991. Functionally, your 1987 and 1988 are identical.

just a side note: the gauge cluster was changed from 84-87 to 88-91 or so. so if you like the newer style gauges you could get those. :)

Back