• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 wont shift out of 2nd

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
Driving my 87 4.0/AW4 /242 about 10 minutes ago and the trans decided to be a pos and not shift out of second. or at least it seamed like it. it ran about 2500 rpm at 35. wtf? so I took it to 55mph and let it coast. the rpm went down while coasting. Then about halfway home it went back to normal shifting after I stopped and turned a corner from a stop sign. What could this be? the fluid is full and looks good as I checked it just now. Any help you guys could give me would be awesome as this rig is my dd and I damn sre dont want to get stuck on the freeway. Thanks.

Mine is doing the same thing except I think mine's stuck in 3rd. It started slow like that- it would only happen every now and then and only for a little bit, but now it happens constantly. Does your's lose power and try to die if you put it into drive when you're standing still (like a manual would if you tried to go from a stop in 2nd or 3rd?) On mine, I finally noticed that it would only have this problem if the blower was on. I know it sounds crazy but it's true.

My '90 4.0 AW4/NP242 won't shift out of 1st when the outside temp is below 45 degrees.

After about 3 minutes of driving, it runs fine.

Searches have yielded little info other than a lot of people suggesting Lucas Trans Treatment for these types of problems.

I'm not typically the 'fix-it-with-a-fluid' type person but may try it just to keep me from having to tear into the trans (or replace it) until the weather gets warmer. And then it won't be shifting funky and I'll probably forget about it until the next cold weather season.

I've been thinking about getting the electronic shift kit just to see if it's control related or mechanical. Plus I like to row my own and an AX5 conversion seems rather extreme for a 400 dollar daily driver.

Maverickj1 said:
Mine is doing the same thing except I think mine's stuck in 3rd. It started slow like that- it would only happen every now and then and only for a little bit, but now it happens constantly. Does your's lose power and try to die if you put it into drive when you're standing still (like a manual would if you tried to go from a stop in 2nd or 3rd?) On mine, I finally noticed that it would only have this problem if the blower was on. I know it sounds crazy but it's true.
no, it wont puke in drive sitting still.

Check your TPS, it tells the TCU what the throttle posistion is. If it's not working properly or needs adjusting then the TCU goes wonky.
Check the inline fuse under the dash that goes to the TCU, if the TCU isn't getting power it won't shift and be stuck in a gear.

87manche said:
Check your TPS, it tells the TCU what the throttle posistion is. If it's not working properly or needs adjusting then the TCU goes wonky.
Check the inline fuse under the dash that goes to the TCU, if the TCU isn't getting power it won't shift and be stuck in a gear.
The TPS is brand new and I had it tested already but ill check the TCU fuse.

Back