• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

small packs?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Here's the requirements:
1. internal frame or support of sorts
2. capacity about 1800 cubic inches
3. modular is a plus
4. molle capable would be a BIG plus

I am currently looking at this one. Btw, it'd be used as an S&R pack.

Scope around at Kifaru's site (not sure of the URL - Google them.) Or, if you still don't see anything there you like, check out DIY Tactical (www.diytactical.com) and learn how to run a sewing machine. They're a source for MIL-spec materials, and you can then build pretty much anything you like.

5-90 said:
Scope around at Kifaru's site (not sure of the URL - Google them.) Or, if you still don't see anything there you like, check out DIY Tactical (www.diytactical.com) and learn how to run a sewing machine. They're a source for MIL-spec materials, and you can then build pretty much anything you like.
Yikes.. you mean the gazilion dollar packs?

You say it's an SAR pack, but do you have a list of what you plan to carry? Also, prioritise access, and start thinking about scattering it all over a vest. Distribution of the weight will help your back and endurance, and having the stuff you need right quick on the front will let you get to it more quickly (it's not necessary to carry everything in the pack...)

You can also design the pack to either attach to the vest (D-rings and Grimlocks work well with MOLLE for this) or be worn separately. Using the D-ring/Grimlock attachment can make it quicker for you to get the pack off when you need to (you can also use Fastex buckles for a QD setup - they're just as good. I just like Grimlocs because they're a bit more versatile than Fastex.)

Seriously, go hang out on DIY Tactical for a while, and you'll get some ideas. There are some people there who are willing to build "one-off" gear as well - you draw it, and arrange with someone to make it for you. They'll let you know what they need.

5-90 said:
You say it's an SAR pack, but do you have a list of what you plan to carry? Also, prioritise access, and start thinking about scattering it all over a vest. Distribution of the weight will help your back and endurance, and having the stuff you need right quick on the front will let you get to it more quickly (it's not necessary to carry everything in the pack...)
Got the list and got almost all of the stuff already.
Seriously, go hang out on DIY Tactical for a while, and you'll get some ideas. There are some people there who are willing to build "one-off" gear as well - you draw it, and arrange with someone to make it for you. They'll let you know what they need.
I'm an instant gratification or do it myself type of a guy :)

Kejtar said:
Got the list and got almost all of the stuff already.

I'm an instant gratification or do it myself type of a guy :)

You can still DIY it - that's what that site is all about. You can get the materials and most specs/measurements you need there, and finish the job the way you want it done. You can also pick up tips and tricks, and learn from the mistakes that others have made (anyone who tells you he hasn't made mistakes on things is a damn liar. That includes me - I've made plenty. Why do you think I know so much?)

I understand what you're trying to do - and I'm just trying to help you. If you're doing a SAR pack, you're using it for SAR, right? You're going to find yourself in some hairy situations, and you might need something faster than you can get your pack off to get it (or you might be in a situation where you can't take your pack off to get what you need.) That's why I'm suggesting a vest/pack combo - between accessibility and weight distribution, it becomes rather hard to beat. And, you can then do most of what you want to do with OTS parts, which caters to your "instant gratification" impulse.

(Kifaru may be spendy, but reports from the field are universally excellent on their gear. Sounds like it's worth the money, to me... Also, have you checked out Blackhawk Industries, Eagle Industries, or Tactical Tailor? I forgot about those, but they're also very good. Spendy, but you get what you pay for...) -Ed.

Last edited:
Yep.

I don't know what (specifically) he's carrying, whether he's left- or right-handed (probably right...) sleeve length (governs what's easier for you to reach,) or a number of other factors. If Remi and I had a face-to-face, I could probably make a number of useful suggestions to him - but I'm lacking information I'd need to go into anything more specific than "check out these guys."

Coming from a history of having to carry probably your body weight on me all the time (easier than you think - fighting weight for me was 275#,) I know a good deal about load-bearing and load-bearing equipment. I know enough to know that, unless I know more, there's not much advice I can give. You can't really design a tool for someone until you know what problem you're trying to solve, right? I do ergonomic consultations for office setups, and they usually start with a five- to ten-minute Q&A session, followed by watching you work with what you've got for fifteen minutes or so. Different from the way most other ergonomicists do it, but I've had a higher percentage of happy customers - so I'll keep doing it my way.

I'll second Kifaru.

Kifaru is rum by Patrick Smith the founder of Mountainsmith Packs (now owned and ran by someone else) I have an original Mountainsmith BugaBoo pack. Awesome daypack.

Smith is a backpack hunter that designs and builds gear that work. Some of the stuff is custom order to your measurements. Look around on his forum A lot of people sell their old Kifaru stuff when moving up to a bigger/different pack.

Remember you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the link to Kifaru. I have been a fan of Mountainsmith for years, but the military stuff on Kifaru's site was very interesting. I liked Mountainsmith because of the versatility of their packs. lots of tie-ins/downs and very firm on your back when strapped down. I also like how adjustable the internal frames are so that you can tailor them to fit YOU.

I have a couple of alice large packs with frames and mediums and my butt packs that stay attached to my black and my green LBE for hiking, I think the larges were $35 at clothing sales. I also have an issue combat vest the 10th mountain was evaluating back in 97, has the added feature of the large or med alice and will snap onto the vest and still be able to use the quick releases to drop the pack and retain the vest with ammo pouches, first aid pocket, compass pocket and other nooks and crannies for the ceramics. The large will carry 90# with no problem and I've packed for a week with 5 MRE's and a medium mummy bag on the top or bottom depending on preference.
I do like the butt pack and LBE, that I've packed for 2 days when sleeping with a poncho and poncho liner, two MRE's in thigh pockets and one in the butt pack, two canteens for balance, either one quarters or 2 quarters.

5-90 said:
(Kifaru may be spendy, but reports from the field are universally excellent on their gear. Sounds like it's worth the money, to me... Also, have you checked out Blackhawk Industries, Eagle Industries, or Tactical Tailor? I forgot about those, but they're also very good. Spendy, but you get what you pay for...) -Ed.

I agree completly with everything said above.

Think of it more like you can buy a Kifaru pack once and it will last forever, possibly the last pack of that size/type you will ever have to buy.

I have/had Blackhawk Industries, Maxpedition, Tad Gear, Mountainsmith [old stuff], North Face, Camelback, Jansport, Kelty, REI.

My favorites are:

Tad Gear
Mountainsmith
Maxpedition

I am currently saving up to get a Kifaru x-ray pack... love it.

Also i liken the purchase for the upper level gear to when i bought my 1st Surefire flash light, a simple 35$ G2.. Wow i will never buy a cheapo flash light again. Inove bolt 3.4 volt and up from now on. That Surefire is amazing. When i got my first Tadgear Fast pack.. well its awesome i will never look back.

Like i said, next pack for me is the X-ray..

Now if i was going for the cheap and/or secondary pack i would consider Maxpedition. I have a Falcon II for my Jeeps bugout/survival pack, it fits all of your described needs: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=110

I have 4 bags by them for different needs or places and they are good.

Again though i am saving up for a Kifaru pack..

PS yeah i am a pack freak/addict and have too many.

Also check out

http://www.tadgear.com/index.html

My absolute favorite place to get gear and things...

Check out the Force 10 BDU's... ill never wear another pant [if i can help it]

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme gear/apparel main/tad_gear_force_10_cargo_utilities.htm

My best/last fleece i will ever get the Ranger hoody: http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme gear/apparel main/ranger_hoodie.htm

I also have the stealth hoody and love it as much...

Yeah spendy i know but i would buy them all again [i have 5 pairs of the Force 10's now]

-Aaron

OH and last but not least...

Military Morons.. great place for reviews of all the above items...

http://www.militarymorons.com/

I ended up picking this one: http://www.coaxsher.com/search_rescue_pack_endeavor.htm I must say that it's pretty nice sized, modular (I can remove modules as needed) and it has a an internal frame (which was probably my biggest requirement). Another nice feature is that at night that pack lights up like a christmas tree on its own (lots of reflective material). That is a nice feature since I got it for when I"ll be doing S&R stuff.

Back