• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil adapter o ring leak

mountainpoo

NAXJA Forum User
i attempted to change the o rings in my oil filter adapter today. i had the rear seal thing done and did the cover gasket myself, but there was still a leak so i tried the adapter. i read lots of write ups on how to do this but i still couldnt get that stupid bolt off. if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this that would be nice. also when i turn the car off there is a noise like some kind of liquid running through the engine. i dont think its oil. my car is a 94 xj.

My 94 has an allen bolt. I cut an "L" shaped allen key down to about 1", put a combination wrench on it, then wedged a cheater bar pipe onto the open end part of the wrench and whacked that with a sledge. Presto.

My 94 has a Torx. Heres the tool i made to do it.

adaptortool001.jpg

It sometimes helps to unbolt the passenger side motor mount and lift the engine a little. Don't strip the head, otherwise it will never come out.

Advance AP sells a Torx T-60 bit for about $5.00 [I can't remember the brand name but it's whatever imported tools they carry] , It's a 1/2" drive but you can tap the bit out of the socket and put a box wrench [13mm?] on it and use a pipe for leverage. Should work fine.

Rough said:
Advance AP sells a Torx T-60 bit for about $5.00 [I can't remember the brand name but it's whatever imported tools they carry] , It's a 1/2" drive but you can tap the bit out of the socket and put a box wrench [13mm?] on it and use a pipe for leverage. Should work fine.

That's what I did. It was TIGHT but with some persuasion and a cheater bar the bolt came out and the rest of the swap was easy. I had my buddy under the Jeep pulling on the bar while I held the Torx steady with a pry bar so it wouldn't roll out and damage the threads on the "bolt".

John B said:
My 94 has a Torx. Heres the tool i made to do it.

adaptortool001.jpg
I did much the same thing, except my torx bit has a removable insert, so once the initial loosening was done, I could press out the insert and use that with a 12 mm wrench to get the bolt out. I needed about two feet of leverage to pop mine loose initially, and used a pry bar between the back end of the socket and the frame to keep it tightly in the head of the bolt.

That noise is oil. Mine does the same thing. Nothing to worry about. It is just running from the head back into the pan.

Back