• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't make up my damned mind.....

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal. My tax refund check is goin to be about $900. I want so badly to lift my cherokee but with all the budget boosts and 3-3.5 in. lifts out there, its confusing. All i'm looking for is the ability to run 31" tires comfortably and a kit that has all the components needed to install w/o buying a bunch of add-ons that are required to make the lift complete and safe. My budget also will include the cost of tires, to that of which i would like to run Cooper S/T's or STT's or interco 30x11.50's or 31x10.5's. And on top of it all, there are so many threads on this matter that is almost no help at all. I really appriciate everyones help on this matter.:huh:

Im on 32' bfg MT's on 3.5 ish with saggy rear spring and i have no rub accept at full stuff. So your height is ok for the tire size. I would say just keep you eye on the list for somebody going bigger and selling off his old set up, Beats the tax man at the same time.

Well, thats an option. If anybody has a used lift for sale, please e-mail me @ [email protected] and i would like to know a.s.a.p.. Shocks arent a real big issue, but if they are still good i would purchase them also. otherwise i can buy new ones. but i am still open for ideas.......

you could do a bastard pack in the rear, get some v8 ZJ coils and put a spacer on them. Then if you end up over 3" you can redrill your tracbar and (i believe) use some ZJ LCA's which are longer then XJ LCA's. Since you have an 87 i doubt you will get vibes due to the internal output shaft. I would also get some longer brakelines which you can use some stock YJ lines which are a couple inches longer. That should fit your budget.

For pretty much all lift kit options look here.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=237

-Kyle

moparjim1987 said:
I was trying to stay away from that end of the lift spectrum, planning maybe to use the angle shims

in that case forget the shims, it wont change anything. The TC drop will work but keep in mind you are just lowering your vehicles clearance by 1" hence lessening your lift purpose.

-Kyle

Kyle Deidrick said:
in that case forget the shims, it wont change anything. The TC drop will work but keep in mind you are just lowering your vehicles clearance by 1" hence lessening your lift purpose.

-Kyle
A SYE is nice, but not always needed. People with the late model XJs sometimes need one at a lower lift height then with the older XJs.

A 1'' drop will not affect as much as you think. Yes, it sucks, but for the price comparison, and if your not doing extreme rocks, its fine.

And shims are needed with a drop kit if you want the driveshaft to line up right.

Starboard M said:
A SYE is nice, but not always needed. People with the late model XJs sometimes need one at a lower lift height then with the older XJs.

A 1'' drop will not affect as much as you think. Yes, it sucks, but for the price comparison, and if your not doing extreme rocks, its fine.

And shims are needed with a drop kit if you want the driveshaft to line up right.

Well i guess it depends on how high the OP plans on going, from the information he provided it didnt sound like he was going very high (probably 2-3") in which case the shims wont benefit him like they would with a 3+" lift.

If i were him i wouldnt worry about shims if hes just sticking with the amount of lift he is talking about.

-Kyle

He said 3 - 3.5" and yes he should use shims and a TC drop to avoid vides.

OP you should be fine going that route. a TC drop isnt that bad i ran one for about a year and did every trail i ever wanted to and and idont wheel so lightly...

swbooking said:
He said 3 - 3.5" and yes he should use shims and a TC drop to avoid vides.

OP you should be fine going that route. a TC drop isnt that bad i ran one for about a year and did every trail i ever wanted to and and idont wheel so lightly...

as a side note, i have run a 1" TC drop for about 20k miles with no shim at 4" and no vibes.

-Kyle

Well, the most i plan to use my truck for is some very mild off-roading, luke-warm trails, and playing around in the mud. and also plan to tow a medium sized trailer. I was looking at the rough country setup in the j.c. whitney catalog and was thinking about getting the 3" lift without the shocks, their adj. track bar, and a good set of shocks like rancho's or r.e.'s. and i heard that they include a lift block so i was goin to put another leaf in the packs to help with the trailer towing situation.

You can unbolt the stock brakelines and straighten the hard line out some up front then redrill a hole to stick it to. That's how I ran mine with a 3" boost for about a year or so. In fact its still that way, but it'll change this weekend. I never had a problem with it and it's been through Truckhaven (lots of flexin), even this year with the 4.5" springs up front. The rear end I'm not sure, you may still have to get new lines out back as mine is still fairly low in the back.

Back