• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle Ujoints need replacing!!???

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
for the last while my jeep has been driving bad so today i looked under it to check everything out.

I noticed that the ujoints in the front axel are shot and when i grabe the front drive shaft I can move it..

so i need to replace the ujoints in the axle and dont really know how to do this?

after searching it looks like I have to jack it up, the the tires off, then remove the calipar and rotor?

after this is the ujoint easy to access and how do i remove it from the jeep?

Thanks

MTBracer367 said:
umm before u go ripping anything apart u better make sure it's the u joints in the knuckles and not in the drive shaft

I'll second that. If you check them and they are in fact the axle u-joints it isn't all that hard but not to fun either. Basically after you remove the tire, rotor, and caliper there are 3 12 point bolts on the back of the hub. They are gonna be covered in crudd so wire brush them reall good and soak them with PB blaster. There a paint in the ass to break lose and don't even thing about stripping them! Once there all taken out you can "tap" on the hup or pry on it to remove it. Your home free from there just replace and reinstall. Be sure to be careful with the inner seals and it is a good idea to replace the fluid in the diff but i didn't and i have no problems(so far) To make it easier to reinstall the hubs you should wire wheel around both the knuckle and the hub assemblies that touch each other and make sure it goes in flush. Then reverse the process you did to put it all back together.

Remove:
Wheels
Calipers
Discs
Wheel nut (36mm socket, impact)
Remove the (3) 13mm multi-point (I want to say 12pt) reverse torks head bolts holding the hub on.
Hub
Pull axle shaft.
Replace U-joints. Axle shaft u-joints have the retaining clip on the inside of the ear, not the outside like a driveshaft.

Installation is reverse of dissasembly. Prelube seal flange near splines with axle grease before assembly. Torque axle nut to something outragous, like 150ftlbs.

Do otherside...2 X the fun!

Ron

When I did mine I didn't remove the hub from the shaft(Didn't have an impact at the time). Its not too hard to deal with when the hub is still on.
And while you are at it. Just remove the nuckles and check your ball joints. I mean you have MOST of it apart at that time.

i didnt see what year your jeep was but i have a 2000 and needed to remove c-clips to get the axle shafts to slide out. i don't have a manual in front of me.

Zuki-Ron said:
Yah, but since I see in another post you're having problems with #3, I'm not giving you great odds right now. ;)

Gud Luk!

sometimes i feel hopefull when it comes to fixing things on my jeep!!!

luckily im practicing taking the calipers and every off my parts jeep before i do it on my dd..

so I have removed the caliper, taken the disc off, taken out the 3 bolts and removed the wheel nut..now i cant seem to just pull off the hub..

i thought it wouldj ust come off but it doesnt..

i can turn it and the axle still turns but doesnt come off?

have i done something wrong or am i fogeting soemthing?

Dont see why a impact socket even grade 5 bolt wouldnt work in this applaction.

Back