• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to tighten up the rear hatch 91 chero

markg

NAXJA Forum User
mine rattles because it doesnt close tight enough.(i think)can i move the latch inward to get it tighter?

If you open the hatch and look at the striker bolt there's two bolts on each side of it that go through the body and have a nut with 1/4" backing plate (which is probably hidden by the plastic crap attached to the bumper. The nuts are 13MM and when you loosen both of them it can move around some. When moving it and adjusting it there is a fine line where it will and won't latch. I've got mine as tight as I could and when going over train tracks it still rattles some so I don't think it's possible to make it tight enough to stop the rattle completely.

While you're at it, check the latch pin for wear. You might be able to compensate for that wear, either by moving it sideways a little, or removing it altogether and turning it 180 degrees.

Ideally, before doing that adjustment, you should back off on the adjustment of the two rubber bumpers near the taillights. Get the hatch to close as tightly as you can with the latchplate first, and then adjust the bumpers back out to put some tension on it.

thanks
mine is not tight against the bumpers.ill look into it this weekend.i assume you are saying to losten the 2 torx screws on the latch on the body not the latch on the hatch right?

Back