• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS short / wire burn...

AZRuss

NAXJA Forum User
I could not find anything by searching so sorry if this is redundant.

My '91 XJ Limited has a wire short that seems to be coming from something in the NSS wiring. It started a few weeks back where the lower two wires (continuity when in park or nuetral?) burnt all the way through. Since then, I have the engine control fuse keeps blowing (30 amp fuse on the PDC). I replaced the NSS with a good used one and the same thing happened. I have stared pulling open the whole engine wiring harness and I did find a few other wires that burnt off the wire insulation and may have caused the short.

I had to replace the harness side female connector for the NSS and the connector I got in town also showed signs of the same two wires (brown with yellow stripe) with melted insulation. This led me to beleive there may be some kind of known common issue.

I'm in the process of replacing the harness wires that were burn, but I fear they'll burn up again when I hook it all up. Anyone have anything similar that may help me track down this electrical gremlin?

Thanks!
Russ
'91 XJ Limited
Phoenix, AZ

If you are really worried about the new harness, remove the 30A fuse, and electrically attach a bulb (like a parking light) across the connectors. It will light if any nominal current flows through even a near dead short yet not allow near enough current to fry an always hot lead.

Thanks for the reply. I was more so curious if anyone else has run across this same issue. The fact that I got a used harness with the same symptoms led me to believe this was possibly a common thing. Perhaps it's just coincidence. I'll proceed with my review of the entire harness and circuit and see if I find any other sort points.

Has anyone else seen this in an XJ before?

Thanks,
R

Back