• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which radiator material is better???

92xjdean

NAXJA Forum User
Is a brass tank with copper core better or an all aluminum radiator??????? Let me know your thoughts. I just bought the brass tank and all copper one, want to get a little reassurance about my choice I guess!

89xj said:
do you always need reassurance after you buy something? why not do the research first?

Yeah, research usually ends up with me being more confused than before. You usually read pros and cons of both. I figure those that take the time to reply, VOLUNTARILY, will usually have a strong opinion, one way or the other. But hey, thanks for taking the time to reply and add absolutely nothing to my question, much appreciated!

Blaine B. said:
Aluminum is better for conducting heat.

However just take whatever has metal tanks, heh!

I bought one from radiatorbarn.com, the guy convinced me that brass/copper was better than aluminum......he said it would give better cooling than aluminum. I was just trying to see what others have acually found to be true. Thanks.

I have heard that alum radiators run slightly hotter than Cu..... But there is a weight savings, so somewhat of a trade off......

Racers I think, tend to favor weight savings over a slightly hotter engine. Most racers run aux. oil coolers for the engine and trans that will help take up the difference......

But I dont know of any raceer who is looking to get 200k out of a motor...
Just my opinion, but I think you made the right choice.

My tendency would probably be to buy a brass/copper rad, mainly because I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I strongly suspect that if you take care of your cooling system properly, installing either a brass or aluminum radiator isn't going to be the deciding factor in how long your engine lasts, so I wouldn't feel bad about buying either one.

Original_MudButt said:
I have heard that alum radiators run slightly hotter than Cu..... But there is a weight savings, so somewhat of a trade off......

Racers I think, tend to favor weight savings over a slightly hotter engine. Most racers run aux. oil coolers for the engine and trans that will help take up the difference......

But I dont know of any raceer who is looking to get 200k out of a motor...
Just my opinion, but I think you made the right choice.

You're right on the money with your comments. Aluminum started being used for weight and cost savings. Thanks for the input.

copper is a better conducter of heat than aluminum. Aluminum is lighter, stronger, and cheaper.

however, most high performance radiator manufacturers use aluminum, so you can buy a better built rad made of the stuff than you could out of copper.

bigdaddyjlove said:
copper is a better conducter of heat than aluminum. Aluminum is lighter, stronger, and cheaper.

however, most high performance radiator manufacturers use aluminum, so you can buy a better built rad made of the stuff than you could out of copper.

yep.
copper brass/will transfer heat more effectively, but because of the strength vs. weight properties of aluminum you can build an overall more effective radiator out of al-u-min-i-um.

Real world experience. After my upper rad hose blew I decided to get on top of my XJ cooling problem once and for all. And let me be clear - I admit that my cooling problem was not a design issue, it was a maintenance issue. Mine is a 90 ltd with the closed cooling system.

I wanted and ordered an all metal rad (copper/brass) just for the durability. The idea of plastic end tanks on a rad sounds totally retarded to me, especially considering the heat cycling of a rad. Anyway, they f'd up and got me an alum and plastic - I took it anyway and installed. At the same time I replaced all hoses, water pump and t stat, and I removed the mech clutch and installed a Taurus electric.

Fact is that I rarely turn on my electric fan unless off road. even in town temp creeps up slightly at stop lights, then comes back down as soon as I start to move. Gauge usually shows right around 100C. On the highway, pulling about 90-100kmh temp is not an issue at all, even hauling up hills as long as I can maintain the speed.

Now maybe I would have had the same results with an all metal rad but I am sold on the heat dissipating properties of the alum

i felt the same about the plastic tanks. when i replaced a leaky radiator i went to an all metal three row unit. that one died when the fan clutch ate a hole through it(got a little crazy on a hill climb and broke a tranny mount). the only thing i could find readily available was a two row "high efficiency" aluminum/plastic unit from, i believe, modine. the aluminum unit has run consistently cooler under all conditions. the jeep was happy even in the middle of the desert as a friend's wj overhead temp display read 122*.

fuzzydog said:
Real world experience. After my upper rad hose blew I decided to get on top of my XJ cooling problem once and for all. And let me be clear - I admit that my cooling problem was not a design issue, it was a maintenance issue. Mine is a 90 ltd with the closed cooling system.

I wanted and ordered an all metal rad (copper/brass) just for the durability. The idea of plastic end tanks on a rad sounds totally retarded to me, especially considering the heat cycling of a rad. Anyway, they f'd up and got me an alum and plastic - I took it anyway and installed. At the same time I replaced all hoses, water pump and t stat, and I removed the mech clutch and installed a Taurus electric.

Fact is that I rarely turn on my electric fan unless off road. even in town temp creeps up slightly at stop lights, then comes back down as soon as I start to move. Gauge usually shows right around 100C. On the highway, pulling about 90-100kmh temp is not an issue at all, even hauling up hills as long as I can maintain the speed.

Now maybe I would have had the same results with an all metal rad but I am sold on the heat dissipating properties of the alum

I also have an Aluminum radiator (purchased from NAPA) with basically the same set-up in my 90 Laredo. Same results. It works well for me, and i never need my Taurus fan unless i'm sitting for long periods of time, towing, or off-roading.
I can however see a Copper core dissipating heat a lot better.. so i'm sure they will both be just fine.

Muad'Dib said:
I also have an Aluminum radiator (purchased from NAPA) with basically the same set-up in my 90 Laredo. Same results. It works well for me, and i never need my Taurus fan unless i'm sitting for long periods of time, towing, or off-roading.
I can however see a Copper core dissipating heat a lot better.. so i'm sure they will both be just fine.

I've got the same results with a taurus fan on my stock radiator.... but then again I've got one of those possesed 4 bangers with lots of room between the radiator and the engine.

Ah, I bought a RadiatorBarn radiator too. All metal CSF, 3 core.

I didn't know it's copper, all I cared about was that it was all metal, and had a good reputation for durability! Their warranty is awesome as well.

yellowta said:
I've got the same results with a taurus fan on my stock radiator.... but then again I've got one of those possesed 4 bangers with lots of room between the radiator and the engine.

After much reading about the differences between the two, brass/copper vs. aluminum I am convinced aluminum radiators are lighter and will cool better......I canceled my order for the brass/copper one and ordered an all aluminum one......thanks for all of your input!

92xjdean said:
I bought one from radiatorbarn.com, the guy convinced me that brass/copper was better than aluminum......he said it would give better cooling than aluminum. I was just trying to see what others have acually found to be true. Thanks.

I have bought 5 of their 3 core brass/copper rads and have had no issues other than shipping damage to the cap seat on one. Very good radiators for the price.

Back