• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Post oil change woe's

97XJ2

NAXJA Forum User
I just had my oil changed at Fleet Farm yesterday, (didn't have the time or feel like crawling under the truck) bulk quaker state oil and a purolator filter, now i notice a what seems to be a valve/lifter noise until its warmed up, presumably until oil has circulated throughout, so it runs like this for 5-10 minutes. No leaks, yet, and it took 6 quarts. Any worries on my part or suggestions?

Check the level once warmed up to make sure they filled it completely. If they changed brands or weight from what you usually use, that could potentially cause a noise.

6 quarts is the proper fill amount for a 4.0L...so....maybe they went with a different weight?

Thats strange. Fleet Farm has a good reputation for good auto service, I go there when I don't have time to do it myself, and I know tons of people that only go to Fleet Farm for oil changes, exhaust and brake jobs. But yeah, like was just said, maybe they used a lighter winter grade.
(Off topic, did you know you can get Amsoil oil changes at Fleet Farm? I had no idea until a buddy got his changed for 35$ a few months ago.)

Change the filter, Purolators have been known for having a bad anti-drain back valve and causing a tap on start up.

They used 5w30, Bill I'm sure they're great, been going there for stuff for years (first oil change tho), just curious if this was abnormal. Anyone else want to chime in on the purolators?

97XJ2 said:
I just had my oil changed at Fleet Farm yesterday, (didn't have the time or feel like crawling under the truck) bulk quaker state oil and a purolator filter, now i notice a what seems to be a valve/lifter noise until its warmed up, presumably until oil has circulated throughout, so it runs like this for 5-10 minutes. No leaks, yet, and it took 6 quarts. Any worries on my part or suggestions?

Sounds like the anti-drainback valve on the filter isn't working. It know fram filters have problems with this. I'm assuming the 4.0 uses filters w/ this valve, but I'm not sure.

If it's always doing this during a cold start take it back and tell them what's up, and see if they'll change the filter.

Ok well thats two votes on the drainback check valve, pretty sure its a standard purolator, standard 5w-30 is what i had in there before. When I head back past there this weekend, I'll stop in and have 'em do the new one. Just trying to elimate one more noise that the Jeep makes, I'll try and keep it creaks and groans instead of ticking.:laugh:

Are you sure its a lifter/valve noise and not piston slap or something like that? Maybe you never noticed it before the change and the new oil made it a little louder? The reason I ask is because if you werent getting oil pressure for 5-10 min after/during a cold start, it would be way more noticable compared to tapping noise. And, even if the drainback fails, the pressure would pick up pretty fast after engine start. I'm not saying you have any problem, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

97XJ2 said:
Ok well thats two votes on the drainback check valve, pretty sure its a standard purolator, standard 5w-30 is what i had in there before. When I head back past there this weekend, I'll stop in and have 'em do the new one. Just trying to elimate one more noise that the Jeep makes, I'll try and keep it creaks and groans instead of ticking.:laugh:

Yeah, groaning and creaks are part of driving a jeep. Like you said, try a new filter and see what happens.

Change the filter just for peace of mind. But maybe the noise may have been there all a long. You just listen closer after the oil change and have picked it up. When I drove tow truck many people would feel something after a tow. It was often there all along they just paid more attention after a tow or work on there ride.

badron said:
Change the filter just for peace of mind. But maybe the noise may have been there all a long. You just listen closer after the oil change and have picked it up. When I drove tow truck many people would feel something after a tow. It was often there all along they just paid more attention after a tow or work on there ride.

Great point. People pay more attention after fixing something or breaking down.

No, never noticed the ticking before, I have stopped and popped the hood to listen to it and sounds like lifters to me. The noise completely goes away at about 160* on the temp guage.

Well in the case that the filter doen't fix it. Is it something to be worried about in the long run? Whether its lifters/valves or piston slap? Well, in the next 50,000 miles anyway?

My experience is Never trust any of the Oil change places, you never know what they are pumping into your vehicle through that hose & They all use crappy filters.

ok well just to update it turns out that i wasnt lifters its something else, im just gonna take it as a "jeep noise" but if anyone knows what could produce a lifter like noise under the jeep feel free to let me know, otherwise ill take it as not a big deal, it goes away once warm

97XJ2 said:
ok well just to update it turns out that i wasnt lifters its something else, im just gonna take it as a "jeep noise" but if anyone knows what could produce a lifter like noise under the jeep feel free to let me know, otherwise ill take it as not a big deal, it goes away once warm

What your talking about sounds like piston slap. My 92 XJ 4.0 has had it since it had 40k miles, and it now has nearly 200k. Many engines have it, Jeeps, Fords, and Chevys. My boss has a 2006 GMC 2500 that has 30k on it, and it has the same slap until its heated up. Its really nothing to get stressed out about, it does no mechanical harm in the long run. Some people posing as mechanical engineers claim it can destroy a engine, they are the same people that know nothing about a engine. Heres my links to these losers:

http://www.pistonslap.com/

GM TSB
http://www.pistonslap.com/tsb/010601022.pdf

They are nothing more than people that don't want to hear a tick from there grocery getter, because its gotta be perfect. But what they fail to understand is that aluminum pistons expand much more than cast iron pistons, and thats what causes the piston slap in most of these GM engines.

Thank you, They had a recording on that site (which somehow i've came across before) and even though its of not great quality I could still pick out the similar noise that my Jeep makes though not as bad as that recording, I guess I just picked up on it after the oil change because I was subconciously listening for something. Thanks for all the help, I'm not too concerned.

97XJ2 said:
Thank you, They had a recording on that site (which somehow i've came across before) and even though its of not great quality I could still pick out the similar noise that my Jeep makes though not as bad as that recording, I guess I just picked up on it after the oil change because I was subconciously listening for something. Thanks for all the help, I'm not too concerned.

No problem, I'm glad its no big deal.

Back