• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 NSS on a 98???

CanadianTrailblaze

NAXJA Forum User
The NSS on my 98 Chero I just bought is cracked with missing parts. I have a NSS (free) from the 96 and older Cherokees. Just wondering if I can cut and splice the 6 wires from the older switch onto the newer 7 wire plug? What does the comp use the D and D3 wire for? Which one should I use? Would I lose OD by using the old switch this way? Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm new to this computer controlled stuff.

Mark

I've been comparing wiring diagrams for both neutral safety switches and they're almost the same except for the wire colors and what looks like the extra shifter position for the 98+. Is this what tells the tranny to use OD or not? Did the 96 and under have a button for OD on/off?

I figured an XJ only site with 35 000 members would be able to help me out with this. I guess no one has ever tried to put on older style NSS on a newer Chero??? I must be the only cheap bastich on here. Anyways, I got the plugs switched over last night, except the 7th wire on the 98 harness. So I'll let you know how it works (or doesn't) tomorrow.

Well, I hope it works for you....that way we will all learn from your experience and feedback to this forum...the next time someone asks the same question, someone will be able to answer it...

When I just compared the two different model year schematics, it shows that the 98 model will be looking for that 7th wire to feed into the TCU so the TCU can sense when the shifter is in the Drive position. I can't predict how the TCU and PCM will react to not seeing it. You may or may not get a check engine light so be sure to check that your tranny goes into overdirve and full torque convertor lockup. I seem to remember reading something that says the TCU will only provide for full lockup in Drive gear, but I could be wrong about that.

Well it functions perfectly as a neutral safety switch, good for the safety check. I still have to test drive it to see if drops into OD. If it doesn't, I may add a manual switch for OD or try hooking that extra wire to the 3 position wire. Hopefully the computer doesn't go bonkers if I do that.:dunno:

Back