• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear gate stuck-yes i searched

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
i opened my gate this morning worked like a charm tried this afternoon NOTHING ,stuck solid.the key lock mechanism is lose so i jump in the back ripoff the inside plastic and try to unlock this way but the bar wont move.i try putting pressure on the door while pulling ,nothing.went from good to #$%@ nvery quick. any ideas that i have'nt read? its a 93 with the push button release in the same spot as the key lock(no handle)

From the inside, look in the hole for a white plastic piece, slide it to the side (1/4 inch is all). Now look for the little lever, bottom right and with a finger, pull it toward you. It should unlock and open. After the hatch is open, if you can, take the latch mechanism out and see what might be bent or slightly hanging. One part slides under another and can get gummed up or slightly bent. If the plastic piece is broken it's time to go to the junk yard and find a good mechanism, I couldn't see a way to fix or replace just the broken plastic.

thanks photographermike,
popped right open.there was a little clip from dont know what jamming it up.i also noticed that the key lock and push button assembly that pops the hatch was loose, and after investigating i noticed that their are no screws to tighten it down.seems like theirs some kind of black adhesive holding itin.does anybody know a good way of securing it .

There is a "U" shaped metal piece with a "bow" when viewed from the side. It slides into the groove around the lock right inside the door.
Why do I know about this? When I bought my '96 the car had been lightly rear-ended and lock pieces were broken and bent.

Back