• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator swap

BarracudaBlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a 1985 cherokee that had a 2.5. I just recently swapped in a 97 tj 2.5 and picked up an alternator from a newer 4.0 cherokee. My old alternator had the hot wire from the battery, a ground wire, and a plug with two wires going into it. The new alternator has the post for the hot wire from the battery, a spot for a ground, and then it has 2 little posts. Niether of these posts are labeled so i don't know where to run the two wires that plugged into my old alternator.

This jeep is carburated and does not have a computer. I was wondering if anyone has done a similar swap and if they could clear things up for me on how to make this work.

BarracudaBlueXJ said:
Hi, I have a 1985 cherokee that had a 2.5. I just recently swapped in a 97 tj 2.5 and picked up an alternator from a newer 4.0 cherokee. My old alternator had the hot wire from the battery, a ground wire, and a plug with two wires going into it. The new alternator has the post for the hot wire from the battery, a spot for a ground, and then it has 2 little posts. Niether of these posts are labeled so i don't know where to run the two wires that plugged into my old alternator.

This jeep is carburated and does not have a computer. I was wondering if anyone has done a similar swap and if they could clear things up for me on how to make this work.
Sounds like the Alternator you picked up is a Nippondenso which is externally regulated. I'm pretty sure it will work in your application. Pick one up out of your year Cherokee, i believe its a Delco CI which is internally regulated.

Last edited:
OOPS! i meant to say WILL NOT work.. in my last post.

Anyway, i don't know about the externally regulated how they work exactly. I guess its possible to get the regulator (if its an external piece not "built in" somewhere.. i think its part of the powertrain control module) and plumb it in somewhere. But then you still have the same problem... what about that two wired plug? I believe they are for regulator sense and energizing????

Last edited:
Muad'Dib said:
OOPS! i meant to say WILL NOT work.. in my last post.

Anyway, i don't know about the externally regulated how they work exactly. I guess its possible to get the regulator (if its an external piece not "built in" somewhere.. i think its part of the powertrain control module) and plumb it in somewhere. But then you still have the same problem... what about that two wired plug? I believe they are for regulator sense and energizing????

The two wires are normally for ignition on signal and the idiot light. Depends if he has the SI or the CS alternator.
I'm curious about an external regulator for the late model XJ's. There may be some info on the Dodge sites.

Last edited:
Talk to 5-90, more than you will ever want to know.

Back