• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pull the 8.8 for work or not?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well im getting the 8.8 regeared when school gets out, and im trying to get a game plan because this summer is going to be really busy between a 40 hr job, and taking summer classes. i think one of the biggest mistakes i made in my 8.8 build was a lockrite without c-clip eliminators. dont get me wrong..love the lockrite....but im not really sure how ill ever get the c-clips out yet. i got a set of dental picks automotive tools hoping thatll do something, but im not sure yet

so anyways, should i pull the 8.8 and try to get the c-clips out which might make things easier. and hope for the best, or leave it under there, untill i know the c-clips will come out. it isn't my DD some time isn't critical. but my jeep sitting in the garage for days at a time doesn't go over well with the parentals

Getting the c-clips out isn't that big of a task. It can be a PIA but it can be done. Don't sweat the small stuff. Leave it under the Jeep, that's a no-brainer in my book.

Hale

wishihad1 said:
under normal circumstances (spider gears) c-clips are no big deal...with the locker it was near impossible to get the clips installed...let alone get back out

I've got an Aussie in my 8.8. I've had it in and out several times for various reasons.
Can it be a PIA?
Yep.
Is it near impossible?
Hardly.

The more you do it, the easier it gets. Kinda like riding a bicycle.:D

A piece of stiff bailing wire with a little hook bent into the end, and gravity. Spray it with some solevent to get the tacky gear lube out of it too.

Last edited:
Haleyes said:
I've got an Aussie in my 8.8. I've had it in and out several times for various reasons.
Can it be a PIA?
Yep.
Is it near impossible?
Hardly.

The more you do it, the easier it gets. Kinda like riding a bicycle.:D

Me too. I used a small retractable magnet to pull them. Just did it today.

I'd say use a stiff wire hook (shape it like an "L" would probably be easiest...) or a "magnet-on-a-stick" (which you should honestly have anyhow. The telescoping ones are best - any hardware store that carries General brand tools will have a nice one for a few bucks.)

If you need help getting the things loose, then turn the axle shaft until the open end is due UP, and fetch the flange end one solid whack with a light sledgehammer (>=5#. Don't let's get stupid...)

I'm not sure how much room you'll have with the Lock-Right in place, but that should free things up for you to pull the shafts. You may want to look into a set of C-clip eliminators while you've got the axle torn to bits, tho... C-clip elims change things around on the outboard ends of the shafts, so it shouldn't require changing your locker at all.

Back